Why become a member? ×

Contemplating swapping the bridge on my EROS EB-3 shorty. But which one?

Paul S

I have a '76 EROS EB-3 shorty which is my current back-up bass to a Gibson SG Standard.  Not much in it, soundwise, but the SG is a decent bit lighter.  The EROS is OK as it is but there are a couple of things about that could be improved.  One thing are the tuners - another story for another day.  The worst thing - it has one of those old 2 point bar bridges that is impossible to intonate properly - it is OK but not perfect.  Also the mounting lugs aren't quite in a 'standard' size, the bolts having 82mm centres and screwing into the base plate, not anchor points.  This means removing it completely, getting the holes filled and completely new anchor point set in.  Now the bass isn't worth much so there is a school of thought that it is pointless spending anything on it, after all, I have lived with the bridge (and tuners) for some while already.  I almost certainly won't choose to play it over the SG unless the SG is on the bench for some reason so it isn't going to get a huge amount of use. 

Nevertheless, ya'll know how it is :D 

I see a few choices.

a/ Hipshot Supertone 2 point.  With a little fettling this might fit as is but is probably the most expensive option.

b/ Schaller 460, assuming I can find one

c/ Tune-o-matic style as per the new Epiphone Embassy bass - could be a cheap option using a generic version.

d/ any old bridge, after all it is a worthless bit of kit.

e/ leave it the flip alone and stop being silly.

I just can't decide.  What would YOU do?  A similar question will appear regarding the tuners.....

IMG_20231217_130037.thumb.jpg.ac2c286c1fa02524a9ad8c332a7f563c.jpg

IMG_20231217_130048.thumb.jpg.3cf15ce6a4d5e98115a56e105b7acf11.jpg

I ws discussing this with the guy who does my bits and bobs and I believe he has come up with the ideal elegant solution.  The bump that passes for saddles on this is a floating, separate bit of metal.  He is going to make me a new one that is 'set' in the perfectly intonated and saddle height spot, keeping all the rest of the bridge intact.  I'm not likely to change the strings so this would work.

• Like 2

On 17/12/2023 at 14:18, Paul S said:

b/ Schaller 460, assuming I can find one

It so happens I have a Schaller 460 in my spares box, awaiting a 2-point bridge bass that appears to be unlikely to ever arrive, considering it's been waiting 10+ years.

It's in new/near-new condition & complete, apart from the 2 intonation screws which act against the posts to adjust overall string length. Those should be straightforward to replace.

Give us a shout if you're interested!

59 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

It so happens I have a Schaller 460 in my spares box, awaiting a 2-point bridge bass that appears to be unlikely to ever arrive, considering it's been waiting 10+ years.

It's in new/near-new condition & complete, apart from the 2 intonation screws which act against the posts to adjust overall string length. Those should be straightforward to replace.

Give us a shout if you're interested!

Jon, you have a PM on its way :) 

• 4 weeks later...

An update :)  Courtesy of Jon @Bassassin I was able to fit a Schaller 460 bridge - absolute quality bit of kit that has really done the business.  When I say 'I was able to fit' what I mean is the guy who does all my bits and bobs was able to fit.  The Schaller didn't quite align with the mounting bolts, needing the old holes filling and new holes drilled, fitted with studs.  Anyway, you'd never know he had done all that - Leighton Jeninngs is the guy and a complete wizard.  Looks just the job, visually I'd say more in keeping than the Hipshot Supertone 2 point (which would have also required all the drilling and filling).  More to the point it works! 

IMG_20240116_154709.thumb.jpg.aa057cda9389768b347f6745921204cb.jpgIMG_20240116_154741.thumb.jpg.6b27859dc1eb7f4b31ce80b9928375f2.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 2