Why become a member? ×

Replacement tweeter for a Peavey 410TX

matybigfro

Picked up one of these heavy lil' fellows on the ebay 2nd hand very cheap, got it to practice space to find the tweeter is blown.

Pulled out the one that is in there and it's a Eminence APT-80 from what I can tell (only identifiers on the unit are two stickers one that says "APT super tweeter" and another wit the number 0903). I'm struggling to find a replacement diaphragm I repair it with.

From what I can see this isn't the stock tweeter (Peavey Triflex system) any thoughts on the APT-80 vs the Triflex or are there other upgrades I should consider at this point?

Edited by matybigfro

Yea they were the only ones I could find and buy the time I pay postage and import tax on them it's not much less than a replace apt-80.

All I could find about the triflex is 

Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohm and D.C.R.: 6.8 Ohms

Output Sound Pressure Level: 107 dB

Frequency Response: 1.5 kHz to 15 kHz

Voice Diameter: 1"

I have emailed Peavey Customer Service asking for a spec sheet for the Triflex as well as details for their UK distributor so we'll see if they come through, I've no patience thou and really would like to hear how the cab sounds with tweeter so if there was one I could just get ordered I'd be keen to.

I'd actually stumbled across your post before Bill while googling to try and find out about the APT-80, would fitting a BGH25-8 be an option in the 410TX (it's meant to be 700 watts program) and would that mean replacing the crossover with as per your design on that thread?

I'd read another thread where someone had modded the cab by removing the wires to the inductor and soldering together, is this safe and what is it doing to the circuit?

Is it safe to install a switch that would remove crossover/tweeter from the circuit to have the option of tweeter with Pad vs full range from the 410's, would a standard DPDT switch do mounted to the same plate as the Speaker Jack?

Thomann retail the Eminence APT80 V2 which may or may nor be a drop in replacement. https://www.thomann.de/gb/eminence_apt80.htm

The crossover looks about what these cabs were setup for, around 3.5khz crossover. I owned the TX410 and TVX410 and never did care much for the tweeter tone. It was that classic Peavey clang 90s stuff were famous for. There was if I remember a decent tweeter control knob on these cabs where you could back off the treble. I replaced quite a few diaphragms on the Peavey type horns when they blew and used to order them from Barns and Mullins in the UK as they were a Peavey ( and now Trace Elliot) distributor. The Genuine Peavey spares were quite pricey which might explain the APt80 in your cab. Fostex also did a version which was quite similar.

4 hours ago, matybigfro said:

I'd actually stumbled across your post before Bill while googling to try and find out about the APT-80, would fitting a BGH25-8 be an option in the 410TX (it's meant to be 700 watts program) and would that mean replacing the crossover with as per your design on that thread?

It would, the reason being that with the BGH-25-8 and the crossover I designed it works down to 2kHz, so you avoid the beaming issue with the woofers. The BGH25-8 also rolls off above 10kHz, where there's no useful content for electric bass. A 3.5kHz tweeter crossover makes perfect sense in a hi-fi speaker with a 6.5 or 8 inch woofer, but not in an electric bass cab.

• Like 1