Why become a member? ×

Studio Etiquette

cheddatom

10 hours ago, TimR said:

Hearing the separate parts for the first time in a studio and finding out the guitarist is playing a minor chord instead of a major chord is too late. Especially when it then descends into an hour of studio time while everyone works out who is right and who is wrong.

Unless you are in doing a session and you float gently over that 3 hour mark into the next session. 

• Haha 1

Great young newish band in yesterday. The drummer can't play a beat and I'm wondering why he's trying to play it, when he clearly can't. I offer advice from a drummer's POV - he was struggling with the bass drum so I suggested adjusting the height of his stool, and adjusting the pedal. It got to the point of "we're going to have to simplify the part", but the guitarist said "hold on, let me play the demo". They'd recorded a decent demo of the song some months back, and the drummer was playing the beat in question perfectly! That left no choice but to go over and over until he got it. A frustrating hour and a half but worth it in the end.

They actually gave me their demo, less the drums, to use as a guide track and that saved a lot of time. I suggest this to a lot of bands but these are the first to ever do it!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Great young newish band in yesterday. The drummer can't play a beat and I'm wondering why he's trying to play it, when he clearly can't. I offer advice from a drummer's POV - he was struggling with the bass drum so I suggested adjusting the height of his stool, and adjusting the pedal. It got to the point of "we're going to have to simplify the part", but the guitarist said "hold on, let me play the demo". They'd recorded a decent demo of the song some months back, and the drummer was playing the beat in question perfectly! That left no choice but to go over and over until he got it. A frustrating hour and a half but worth it in the end.

They actually gave me their demo, less the drums, to use as a guide track and that saved a lot of time. I suggest this to a lot of bands but these are the first to ever do it!

Red light fever?

3 minutes ago, TimR said:

Red light fever?

Maybe! However, he absolutely nailed the first song, which was much simpler, but still, he was looking/sounding pretty confident. It was pretty bizarre!