Why become a member? ×

5-string J-type recommendations

terryblyth

Hi all,

I'm shortly selling my Sei Millenium 6 as I don't really use it as a 6-string anymore. I also have a Corvette $$ 5 but tonally I'm not entirely happy. It does a great MM (and to a certain extent Jazz) impression, but tends to really thin out on the higher notes. Can anybody recommend something that looks a bit more traditional but remains beefy throughout the sonic range? I'm more drawn to 35" scale (more through comfort than anything else) and wide string spacing, but still could do with some sonic versatility. I've previously owned a Lakky 55-02 which was great, but again thinned out up top a bit. Sustain has also been a bit of an issue with the $$ so would this mean looking at through-necks?

Despite saying traditional, I quite like the look of the Streamer LX BN versions. Perhaps not quite so old-school looking, but definitely more so than the Sei (see avatar/myspace!)

[quote name='bassaussie' post='50918' date='Aug 26 2007, 02:21 PM']Personally, I really like the few Sadowsky 5 string basses I've tried, but they're a 34" scale, so may not suit you.[/quote]

Maybe it's time to revisit them - I tried one before I got the Lakky but wasn't immediately sold on the sound. I'm obviously becoming fussy in my old age!

Ped - that looks fantastic but all the gigs I do now tend to require me to be playing something much more traditional looking (unfortunately!)

[quote name='terryblyth' post='50940' date='Aug 26 2007, 03:16 PM']Maybe it's time to revisit them - I tried one before I got the Lakky but wasn't immediately sold on the sound. I'm obviously becoming fussy in my old age!

Ped - that looks fantastic but all the gigs I do now tend to require me to be playing something much more traditional looking (unfortunately!)[/quote]

I own 2 Sadowsky 4 strings, and played by themself, the sound doesn't immediately hit you with a lot of "wow" factor. However, put them into a band setting (recorded or live) and you've suddenly got a bass sound that, IMHO, is nearing perfection with regards to the way it provides low end and definition. Also, as a 4 string player, I'm fairly picky about B strings, but I really like the B strings on the Sadowskys I've tried.

One that I've heard (though not played) is by [url="http://www.mikelull.com/"]Mike Lull[/url], in the hands of Bryan Beller. Killer sounds through his SWR rig. I heard him with Mike Keneally, though he's touring with Steve Vai this summer. Randy Jackson is endorsing them now - don't know what to make of that. :)

Edited by bnt

Hi,
I think the Lakland DJ & JO models may be what you're looking for if you don't fancy a Fender. OBBM has a great Lakland 5 string Jazz which I've seen him use at one of the Blues jams in Worplesdon.

Have you thought about another custom job like a Shuker / Overwater / GB (or even another Sei)? (can recommend the Overwater one very highly....).

Cheers,
iamthewalrus