Why become a member? ×

EBS Fafner

Lifer

Been playing with my fafner (haven't cranked it yet unfortunately but sounding pretty sweet) and just wondering if anyone uses the phantom power for their active basses?

Brilliant idea? Good but not perfect? Pain in the arse?

I understand you need a stereo lead to use it, any recommendations (assuming it's any good)?

Lots of questions...sorry!

Edited by Lifer

[quote name='Lifer' post='484049' date='May 9 2009, 10:26 PM']Been playing with my fafner (haven't cranked it yet unfortunately but sounding pretty sweet) and just wondering if anyone uses the phantom power for their active basses?

Brilliant idea? Good but not perfect? Pain in the arse?

I understand you need a stereo lead to use it, any recommendations (assuming it's any good)?

Lots of questions...sorry![/quote]

Good for powering the EBS pedals... not so good on the bass front - it's a pain in the arse rewiring your basses...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='484094' date='May 10 2009, 12:13 AM']Good for powering the EBS pedals... not so good on the bass front - it's a pain in the arse rewiring your basses...[/quote]
You can get away without re-wiring your bass. Just get a [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44392"]PP3 battery header[/url] (or two if you have an 18v bass) and connect the two leads coming out of it together. Then you can just replace the battery in your bass with it when you want to use the phantom power.

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='~tl' post='484096' date='May 10 2009, 12:17 AM']You can get away without re-wiring your bass. Just get a [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=44392"]PP3 battery header[/url] (or two if you have an 18v bass) and connect the two leads coming out of it together. Then you can just replace the battery in your bass with it when you want to use the phantom power.[/quote]

True... but a pain in the arse for me...

I have these...

[quote name='~tl' post='484102' date='May 10 2009, 12:26 AM']Ah yeah, those sort of things make life difficult...[/quote]

Yup - but even if you haven't got those and say a J-Retro in a jazz... unscrewing the unit to take off the clip and fit a battery so you can have a blast at a jam night (through a non EBS amp) is still a pain in the arse...

So, for me at least, it's a nice idea... but not really for powering basses... unless you have a dedicated bass which you will use with your amp and you are plugging straight in...

Well cranked it (up to about 3 :) ) today at band practise. Don't really know how to describe it - amazing!

Defined, punchy, gritty all in one. Don't think I've scraped the surface of what this amp can do and looking forward to having a play.

In the 8 or so years I've had my Ashdown ABM300 I've tried replacing it with Hartke, G&K, H&K and a Tech21 but have finally found the one.

Best thing is I've gone from pedalboard (compressor, TU-2 and wah) to just having my wah. Tidy.

[quote name='Lifer' post='484657' date='May 10 2009, 09:53 PM']Well cranked it (up to about 3 :) ) today at band practise. Don't really know how to describe it - amazing!

Defined, punchy, gritty all in one. Don't think I've scraped the surface of what this amp can do and looking forward to having a play.

In the 8 or so years I've had my Ashdown ABM300 I've tried replacing it with Hartke, G&K, H&K and a Tech21 but have finally found the one.

Best thing is I've gone from pedalboard (compressor, TU-2 and wah) to just having my wah. Tidy.[/quote]

Of course! Welcome to the light. You've seen it.

[quote name='Lifer' post='484657' date='May 10 2009, 09:53 PM']Well cranked it (up to about 3 :rolleyes: ) today at band practise. Don't really know how to describe it - amazing!

Best thing is I've gone from pedalboard (compressor, TU-2 and wah) to just having my wah. Tidy.[/quote]

Really glad your happy with it man!
I'm sure it won't be long until i miss it too much and try and buy it back from you!! haha :lol:

Jake

Edit:

Think i may have to change my avatar now, seen as the only EBS thing i now own is the preamp in my bass :)

Edited by jake_tenfloors