Why become a member? ×

Potential Buyer questions

Kongo

I went onto the site and was quite interested in "The Big One"...A 15" coupled with a 6.5" is genius!
I need huge low end but with clarity too. I use my Low-B a fair ammount (as the guitars are drop-:) and find alot of 15" speakers don't like this other than cabs that are ported at the front and not many companies do that.
But having that smaller speaker too would be great.
Alot of cabs I use just can't take the power or bass that needs to be pushed some times...were not talking a lot either!
300 Watt pushed almost half way causes a lot of cabs to break up and I like to hear notes as much as volume.

Also, is everything here true to a T? I've seen many companies say about what they do compared to others and whereas I believe this I'd like to know if they really are this great and why others ain't doing the same before I think of parting cash.

I'm all for supporting our boys (and girls) in this country and find £625 to be very modest a price...Quite cheap for what you get.
Portability weight is always good for cabs and this one doesn't sit much taller than my current Laney 4x10 for a double speaker enclosure.
Turely it would be great to use this at Quad and get asked what it is...I've never seen one before...Sounds like it's exactly what I want.

Thanks.

Edited by Kongo

Can't comment on the low B or many other decent cabs, but it must be as loud as me old Sunn 2x15. For what it's worth, I'm a right tight sod when things go above £500, but on the strength of one gig with a borrowed Big One, I ordered one.

My reviews are [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=46780&view=findpost&p=409683"]here [/url]& [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=47806&view=findpost&p=476760"]here[/url].

[quote name='Kongo' post='483842' date='May 9 2009, 05:03 PM']I went onto the site and was quite interested in "The Big One"...A 15" coupled with a 6.5" is genius!
I need huge low end but with clarity too.[/quote]

That's what it's good at!

[quote name='Kongo' post='483842' date='May 9 2009, 05:03 PM']I use my Low-B a fair ammount (as the guitars are drop-:) and find alot of 15" speakers don't like this other than cabs that are ported at the front and not many companies do that.
But having that smaller speaker too would be great.[/quote]

It doesn't really matter where the ports are, so it'll just be coincidence that the front ported cabs contained better 15" drivers. The smaller speaker is really essential on this design because the woofer is almost a subwoofer, very different to the 'fullrange' 15"s normally found in bass cabs - more akin to a good PA sub.

[quote name='Kongo' post='483842' date='May 9 2009, 05:03 PM']Alot of cabs I use just can't take the power or bass that needs to be pushed some times...were not talking a lot either!
300 Watt pushed almost half way causes a lot of cabs to break up and I like to hear notes as much as volume.[/quote]

That's where the high excursion design makes such a difference - about three times as much clean excursion as typical bass guitar 15", which gives you nine times the power handling.

[quote name='Kongo' post='483842' date='May 9 2009, 05:03 PM']Also, is everything here true to a T? I've seen many companies say about what they do compared to others and whereas I believe this I'd like to know if they really are this great and why others ain't doing the same before I think of parting cash.[/quote]

Yes, the information on the site is honest - even the name is a bit of a tongue in cheap jibe at the barefaced lies pedalled by some in the name of specs. :rolleyes: Glockenklang, SWR, Dr Bass and AccuGroove have all made similar cabs in terms of large woofer plus midrange driver (though often with an additional tweeter) but they haven't used as potent (and expensive) drivers and/or they haven't engineered the design so thoroughly (especially the crossover).

[quote name='Kongo' post='483842' date='May 9 2009, 05:03 PM']I'm all for supporting our boys (and girls) in this country and find £625 to be very modest a price...Quite cheap for what you get.[/quote]

It certainly is cheap - if you were buying such a cab from a shop you'd be paying about £1200!

[quote name='Kongo' post='483842' date='May 9 2009, 05:03 PM']Portability weight is always good for cabs and this one doesn't sit much taller than my current Laney 4x10 for a double speaker enclosure.[/quote]

The reason it's relatively small is that the midrange speaker is in a very small sub-enclosure so almost every bit of internal space has been given over to the woofer for maximum sensitivity and bass extension. It's still relatively tall - I need to update the specs to include the added height of the feet and wheels (which weren't originally on the pre-production version) - don't want anyone buying one and finding that extra inch or two makes it too big for their car!

Alex

[quote name='Uncle Balsamic' post='484552' date='May 10 2009, 08:13 PM']Are wheels standard now or are they an extra? How much do they cost?[/quote]

Standard on the Big One and Vintage - they're tiltback ones with rollerblade wheels so you can get to the gig extra fast! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='484383' date='May 10 2009, 04:50 PM']That's what it's good at!

It doesn't really matter where the ports are, so it'll just be coincidence that the front ported cabs contained better 15" drivers. The smaller speaker is really essential on this design because the woofer is almost a subwoofer, very different to the 'fullrange' 15"s normally found in bass cabs - more akin to a good PA sub.

That's where the high excursion design makes such a difference - about three times as much clean excursion as typical bass guitar 15", which gives you nine times the power handling.

Yes, the information on the site is honest - even the name is a bit of a tongue in cheap jibe at the barefaced lies pedalled by some in the name of specs. :) Glockenklang, SWR, Dr Bass and AccuGroove have all made similar cabs in terms of large woofer plus midrange driver (though often with an additional tweeter) but they haven't used as potent (and expensive) drivers and/or they haven't engineered the design so thoroughly (especially the crossover).

It certainly is cheap - if you were buying such a cab from a shop you'd be paying about £1200!

The reason it's relatively small is that the midrange speaker is in a very small sub-enclosure so almost every bit of internal space has been given over to the woofer for maximum sensitivity and bass extension. It's still relatively tall - I need to update the specs to include the added height of the feet and wheels (which weren't originally on the pre-production version) - don't want anyone buying one and finding that extra inch or two makes it too big for their car!

Alex[/quote]

Coasters huh? Useful...very useful. I'll be taking one of these at least twice a week bare minimum out with me so the coasters means I can wheel it in the door.
Boy...that 15" sounds cool. I know you say there's no need to add another on top but I do like my 4x10"'s too so with this bad boy I would couple a 2x10" at a later date...But this should do the trick.
Half the time I find cabs can't even handle the head they are "Paired" with and about halfway volume the cab just can't take anymore.
If these have the power to boot then sign me up now before you get too big and add middle men LOL!

Hmmm July is it these come in stock? Might be worth my time holding out for a better cab until then...Wanna test one of these bad boys.
It'll blow the band appart and give me a clear ammount of space for my sound. My band is a Prog Metal band of sorts so I have drop-B guitars to go against but the Bass is very important to our sound too both sonically and structurely and alot of the time amps I use let me down and I'm only against a 50 Watt Orange RockerVerb and a Line 6 40 watt both all valve.
This might be just the cab I'm looking for and it would be a shame to miss out now.
Best continue saving then LOL!

Be good to see a different amp name used on band websites too...I know from previous experience that people get amazed by sound and ask what your using...Imagine telling them you use "Barefaced cabs" and then tell them they are handmade here in the UK. Dare we add in limited numbers too.

Lemmie have a think...well more of a funds calculation to D-day but I do fancy one of these...and £625 is cheap!

EDIT:

Weighing up a few things I think there is a problem for me with the Big One.
It's 6 ohms! Coupled with an 8 ohm cab means I'll be under 4 ohms...and that's one fried head!

I see the Compact is the same as the Big One except power handling, one speaker etc...Is there anything else different about this?
I was thinking of adding a Midget-T when you make them on top because I do need some crisp high end too (I use a 6-string bass with a High-C string foe one).
Having a 12" with a Tweeter would make for a great sound coupled with one of your humongus 15" speakers...then when we add this I feel the Big One a bit overkill so maybe this is a better option?

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='Kongo' post='486511' date='May 12 2009, 11:45 PM']Coasters huh? Useful...very useful. I'll be taking one of these at least twice a week bare minimum out with me so the coasters means I can wheel it in the door.
Boy...that 15" sounds cool. I know you say there's no need to add another on top but I do like my 4x10"'s too so with this bad boy I would couple a 2x10" at a later date...But this should do the trick.[/quote]

Absolutely no point stacking a 2x10" on top, it will fart out long before the Big One gets going.

[quote name='Kongo' post='486511' date='May 12 2009, 11:45 PM']It'll blow the band appart and give me a clear ammount of space for my sound. My band is a Prog Metal band of sorts so I have drop-B guitars to go against but the Bass is very important to our sound too both sonically and structurely and alot of the time amps I use let me down and I'm only against a 50 Watt Orange RockerVerb and a Line 6 40 watt both all valve.[/quote]

With a powerful head or pre/power rig the Big One will be plenty for that environment.

[quote name='Kongo' post='486511' date='May 12 2009, 11:45 PM']It's 6 ohms! Coupled with an 8 ohm cab means I'll be under 4 ohms...and that's one fried head![/quote]

Possibly! But it is one cab solution, no need for a second cab.

[quote name='Kongo' post='486511' date='May 12 2009, 11:45 PM']I see the Compact is the same as the Big One except power handling, one speaker etc...Is there anything else different about this?[/quote]

It's completely different - different woofer, different alignment, different tuning, no crossover, no midrange. More traditional sound, much less bottom and top.

[quote name='Kongo' post='486511' date='May 12 2009, 11:45 PM']I was thinking of adding a Midget-T when you make them on top because I do need some crisp high end too (I use a 6-string bass with a High-C string foe one).
Having a 12" with a Tweeter would make for a great sound coupled with one of your humongus 15" speakers...then when we add this I feel the Big One a bit overkill so maybe this is a better option?[/quote]

For your situation I'm pretty certain the Big One will be enough on it's own. The high end very nice and bright but I am working on an optional switchable tweeter, will hopefully get that sorted by the time this batch is done, so if the midrange doesn't go high enough for you then you can switch a tweeter in.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='486583' date='May 13 2009, 07:45 AM']Absolutely no point stacking a 2x10" on top, it will fart out long before the Big One gets going.

With a powerful head or pre/power rig the Big One will be plenty for that environment.

Possibly! But it is one cab solution, no need for a second cab.

It's completely different - different woofer, different alignment, different tuning, no crossover, no midrange. More traditional sound, much less bottom and top.

For your situation I'm pretty certain the Big One will be enough on it's own. The high end very nice and bright but I am working on an optional switchable tweeter, will hopefully get that sorted by the time this batch is done, so if the midrange doesn't go high enough for you then you can switch a tweeter in.

Alex[/quote]

Add a tweater and I'm sold.
Trust me, there are a lot of bassists out there that would rather that "Marcus Miller" sound on top as you said LOL!
I hope this does the job, I don't want too much boom and not enough high or the other way round.
But if I can get away with this one cab all the better...And it'll be easy to transport / store.
ONly thing is I wont get all the juice from my head with one cab but 6 ohms is better than 8 so half there.

July you said somewhere right?
I can save up enough for one by then.
I guess I shall anticipate the Big One and hope it delivers...So many cabs have let me down, this sounds about right for me.
But defo consider adding a tweater...then you technically get 3 speakers in one...A LOT more bassists will buy them then it makes a lot of difference with harmonics for example.

Oh and how does the cab distribute frequencies?
I've used a 15" with a 2x10" enclosure before and I swear the 10" was being pushed as much as the 15" and just wanted to pop out...Needless to say I cut the bass a bit to avoid it.

Forgive me for questioning everything but after trying a lot of equipment, and money is soon to be on the table, I have to.
It's not like I can try one of these in a shop anywhere and even if I did, in a shop and then with 2 guitars and a drummer...things get a bit different HAHA!

[quote name='Kongo' post='489199' date='May 15 2009, 06:57 PM']Add a tweater and I'm sold.
Trust me, there are a lot of bassists out there that would rather that "Marcus Miller" sound on top as you said LOL![/quote]

I'm planning to add an optional tweeter - it'll be £75 extra and will be switchable so you can have if off/flat/boosted. Be interesting to see if it's mostly the metal fraternity that want even more top to cut through the wall of guitars!

[quote name='Kongo' post='489199' date='May 15 2009, 06:57 PM']But defo consider adding a tweater...then you technically get 3 speakers in one...A LOT more bassists will buy them then it makes a lot of difference with harmonics for example.[/quote]

Actually I find with harmonics the midrange driver goes more than high enough - the tweeter really just adds that very top-end sparkle and shine, if you see what I mean?

[quote name='Kongo' post='489199' date='May 15 2009, 06:57 PM']Oh and how does the cab distribute frequencies?
I've used a 15" with a 2x10" enclosure before and I swear the 10" was being pushed as much as the 15" and just wanted to pop out...Needless to say I cut the bass a bit to avoid it.[/quote]

There's a complicated crossover inside that splits the power in the midrange, so the lower half (where most of the power lies) goes to the woofer and the upper midrange and treble goes to the midrange speaker. And if you have the switchable tweeter there's another crossover that looks after the transition to that. Even when you're pumping huge power in the midrange speaker doesn't appear to move at all because absolutely no lower frequency energy is hitting it, so it can handle tons and tons of power without distorting. If you push ridiculous amounts of distortion into it then eventually the protection circuit will kick in to stop you burning out the voice coil, but that really takes some doing and it self-resets once it cools down. You won't need to cut the bass with this woofer, push it as hard as you like - it'll be producing tons of bottom before it starts complaining and once it does start distorting there's a really wide margin of error before you break it. But as with all speakers, don't ignore the warning signals.

[quote name='Kongo' post='489199' date='May 15 2009, 06:57 PM']Forgive me for questioning everything but after trying a lot of equipment, and money is soon to be on the table, I have to.It's not like I can try one of these in a shop anywhere and even if I did, in a shop and then with 2 guitars and a drummer...things get a bit different HAHA![/quote]

They do indeed! Hence the trial period - test it to the limits with your band and send it back if it doesn't work for you. But I'd be very surprised to see it return! :)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='489254' date='May 15 2009, 07:33 PM']I'm planning to add an optional tweeter - it'll be £75 extra and will be switchable so you can have if off/flat/boosted. Be interesting to see if it's mostly the metal fraternity that want even more top to cut through the wall of guitars!

Actually I find with harmonics the midrange driver goes more than high enough - the tweeter really just adds that very top-end sparkle and shine, if you see what I mean?

There's a complicated crossover inside that splits the power in the midrange, so the lower half (where most of the power lies) goes to the woofer and the upper midrange and treble goes to the midrange speaker. And if you have the switchable tweeter there's another crossover that looks after the transition to that. Even when you're pumping huge power in the midrange speaker doesn't appear to move at all because absolutely no lower frequency energy is hitting it, so it can handle tons and tons of power without distorting. If you push ridiculous amounts of distortion into it then eventually the protection circuit will kick in to stop you burning out the voice coil, but that really takes some doing and it self-resets once it cools down. You won't need to cut the bass with this woofer, push it as hard as you like - it'll be producing tons of bottom before it starts complaining and once it does start distorting there's a really wide margin of error before you break it. But as with all speakers, don't ignore the warning signals.

They do indeed! Hence the trial period - test it to the limits with your band and send it back if it doesn't work for you. But I'd be very surprised to see it return! :)

Alex[/quote]

Nice. SOunds good man that the smaller speakers don't get hit with the massive low end some cabs do.
That means I can dial in whatever my tone needs without panicing it's going to blow.
I wouldn't say Metal needs the horn, more funk. I may be in a Prog metalcore band but my tone and playing style is a hodge-podge of many and I only like clear "Liquid steel" tone. By the sounds of it the Big One is already covered but a tweeter, with the switchable option, adds more to it.
I think you'll get more funk players than metal players wanting a tweeter.

I always keep an eye on my speakers. I detest cabs distorting and don't even use the effect either...barely...maybe at home but not in a band situation...that's where alot of bassists fail when playing in a metal band.
I am but a tone freak who is interested in trying these underground cabs...and they sound like they were made with bassists like myself in mind.
The more low end handling and Mids keeping the tonal quality up the better. I sure hope I can get by with this one cab...Only thing to do later is get another and a stereo head LOL!

Yes it will get it's testing in the band...of course I need a new head too to drive it...so I have many options.
It's a shame you don't make heads too...completely different kettle of fish I know but still, bet you'd make them great too.

[quote name='Kongo' post='490984' date='May 17 2009, 11:07 PM']Nice. SOunds good man that the smaller speakers don't get hit with the massive low end some cabs do.
That means I can dial in whatever my tone needs without panicing it's going to blow.[/quote]

Exactly!

[quote name='Kongo' post='490984' date='May 17 2009, 11:07 PM']I wouldn't say Metal needs the horn, more funk. I may be in a Prog metalcore band but my tone and playing style is a hodge-podge of many and I only like clear "Liquid steel" tone. By the sounds of it the Big One is already covered but a tweeter, with the switchable option, adds more to it.
I think you'll get more funk players than metal players wanting a tweeter.[/quote]

Well I play funk and I don't want a tweeter! :rolleyes: But there is a certain type of slap tone that needs that last octave of treble, just not mine.

[quote name='Kongo' post='490984' date='May 17 2009, 11:07 PM']I always keep an eye on my speakers. I detest cabs distorting and don't even use the effect either...barely...maybe at home but not in a band situation...that's where alot of bassists fail when playing in a metal band.
I am but a tone freak who is interested in trying these underground cabs...and they sound like they were made with bassists like myself in mind.
The more low end handling and Mids keeping the tonal quality up the better. I sure hope I can get by with this one cab...Only thing to do later is get another and a stereo head LOL![/quote]

If you get two please don't rehearse after my bedtime... (Should I supply hardcore ear-defenders with the Big One?)

[quote name='Kongo' post='490984' date='May 17 2009, 11:07 PM']Yes it will get it's testing in the band...of course I need a new head too to drive it...so I have many options.
It's a shame you don't make heads too...completely different kettle of fish I know but still, bet you'd make them great too.[/quote]

At some point I'd like to make some heads but to be perfectly honest there are tons of great heads out there - seems that most of the R&D effort in the bass amp world has gone into amps and the cabs have been ignored. I'm also a great fan of studio/pro sound gear for the amp side of things - if you're willing to carry a rack then the tone and power you can get is incredible - I use an Avalon U5 as my preamp and then bridge a QSC PLX 3002 into the Big One (an honest 2000W+). Take cover! :)

Alex

[quote name='sk8' post='491495' date='May 18 2009, 03:56 PM']Did anything ever come of the wedge idea for the compact and if so, did it have read across for the Big One?[/quote]

Wedge as in tilty thing for cab or wedge as in floor monitor?

Alex

[quote name='sk8' post='491522' date='May 18 2009, 04:21 PM']that would be the very technical tilty thing for the cab :)[/quote]

It's one of those things that keeps getting put on the backburner - just need to make some final decisions.

However, you don't need it with the Big One - it's tall and the off-axis response is amazing.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='491020' date='May 17 2009, 11:38 PM']Exactly!

Well I play funk and I don't want a tweeter! :lol: But there is a certain type of slap tone that needs that last octave of treble, just not mine.

If you get two please don't rehearse after my bedtime... (Should I supply hardcore ear-defenders with the Big One?)

At some point I'd like to make some heads but to be perfectly honest there are tons of great heads out there - seems that most of the R&D effort in the bass amp world has gone into amps and the cabs have been ignored. I'm also a great fan of studio/pro sound gear for the amp side of things - if you're willing to carry a rack then the tone and power you can get is incredible - I use an Avalon U5 as my preamp and then bridge a QSC PLX 3002 into the Big One (an honest 2000W+). Take cover! :rolleyes:

Alex[/quote]

I can't agree more. Y'know, even these Mark Bass amps...the heads are AWESOME! I'm currently using (borrowing) a Mark Bass SD800...that's 800 watts @ 4 ohms and 450 watts @ 8 ohms and even in it's case it weights less than my BOSS ME-50B I sh*t you not!
But the cabs just cant take it! No cab can EVER take the power of the head it's supposed to be "paired" with...You hit it on the head there what I was saying so yeah, I guess your focus on Cabs is the best idea...Wonder what this would be like with that Mark Bass SD800? Might hold onto it a little longer LOL!!!
But mine might be powered by a Trace Elliot head...I was gonna go the whole hog buy your cabs sound like they do what they do better.

Haha I thought I'd get that response...Sounds good man...Loud is good!
Not cause I turn up to 11 jus cause I need the head room for these frequencies...from a Low-B to a high-C it's hard to get a cab to cater for it all...The Big One sounds about right for me and to be honest, the only one worth my time, the others just ain't what I want.

This cab is really going against my principles you know...15"? As a main / only cab? Never!
Granted it has a 6.5" but a 15"?
But from what I'm told it doesn't sound muddy? Awesome...this cab, when I get it, if it sounds like that man...everyone will want a go!
Can't wait till I gig with it oh hell yeah!
Not many will know who Barefaced Cabs are...they will when I'm done!
Who knows...this "Metal Fraternity" may just want these cabs bad...and they cost the same as some middle of the road cabs too!

Just one question...CAN IT take a Low-F#? :)
My high-C on my band 6-string see's little used these days and I might bring back the bad boy Conklin .190 Low-F# just for a little sub-bass tickle every now and then...would see more use than the C.
Heh heh heh...

The only problem I can see is...I'm in a bit of a pinch right now with time to get a cab and alot of good stuff is starting to appear that I was after until I found your fine cabs...but I want one of these what should I do? Time is ticking to gig day and I don't have a decent cab and I got a sweet offer on a Trace Elliot.
Catch 22 I knew this would happen.

Edited by Kongo