Why become a member? ×

Hi, I’m new here!

Does anyone know any luthiers that fit C extensions in Kent or Southampton? I have had two quotes from Kent and Southampton with very different prices and so I’m looking for a 3rd quote to see if one is overpriced or one is cheap. (I’m aware that the cheaper one could just be a very good price!)

Also if anyone has had one fitted and can let me know what price they paid and/or if it was by someone in Kent or Southampton weather they would recommend who fitted it that would be amazing!

The quotes I received for an extension with 4 capos were £700 and £1200. Neither included the new string. 

Also any advice for having one fitted is welcome! 

Thanks,

Noah

£700 is cheap.... I'd be cautious of that one. 

Mike Hart has retired now (Norfolk) , not sure of anyone else in your area. 

Martin Penning is the best but is in Somerset and has a HUGE waiting list. 

Try Malcom Healey in Sutton. 

(I presume you're looking for a plain / gated extension and not a machine extension) 

Good luck and check out the luthiers work (plus previous extensions) before you hand your bass over. 

I've seen some dreadful and damaging butcher jobs in the past. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/08/2023 at 19:17, JoeEvans said:

A luthier told me that basses 'open up' in tone after about forty years of playing. No idea if it's true but if you play it for forty years it will definitely sound better!

On 08/12/2023 at 16:46, basso navo said:

Hi @NoahOnTheBass,

before you go at it, make sure you get the extension you want. As far as I know, there are two systems. One needs a hole bored through the snail, and the other avoids drilling a hole by diverting the E-string.

There's a few more as well... The "wrap-around the scroll" and the now more popular "double pulley method" (much better as the scroll isn't damaged and the C string doesn't bite and jam as can sometimes happen on the wrap-around method). 

Don't forget the 2 types of machine extension either... 

• 2 weeks later...

My Extension - which you can see in my avatar - was built by Pete Barnaby and fitted by Martyn Bailey. I love it, but not everyone gets on with mechanical extensions, so I'd suggest "try before you buy"! Mine has a hole through the scroll for the string, which is almost un-noticable but might not be the way to go if you have an 18th century Italian bass! Martyn did a fantastic job of fitting it, and the extension itself is a beautiful piece of engineering.

Jerome Davies looks after my bass when it needs work, and I'd highly recommend him for any work, including a fingered extension.

Martyn Bailey did mine, i shopped around a fair bit and he was very reasonably priced and did a great job. I've had the extension on my bass for nearly 10 years now. No complaints

I paid in the region of £500 for an extension with all 4 capos

Edited by alexpea