Why become a member? ×

Bass Effects Pedal Owners, Users and Appreciation Club by “J-D.R.K”

JobuDRK79

Hey fellow Bassheads! How’s it going?✌️
As an avid effect nut, I would like to start up this club and I am inviting you all to join and comment so we can create a font of knowledge for all things Effects. 
The premise is really simple. I would like us to share and talk about any of the following:
-Our pedal boards
-Our signal chains
-Our favorite effects
-Our least favorite effects 
-Tips and tricks for beginners to pros 
-Patch cables and power supplies 
-New or special discoveries
-Tech specs and information
-Your own demo videos or those of others you like

So basically it’s literally an all things effects club. Can you dig it? You folks up for this??

so the signal path of my live board as it is in running order:

1: Korg Pitch Black Tuner
2: Sadowsky SBP-2 Pre amp. (Under board)
3: Empress Bass Comp mark 2
4: Walrus Audio Stereo Canvass Di box that’s under the tuner
(From here one line goes to front of house or to the mix pult as my dry signal and the thru line passes on to the effects)
5: EBS Octabass V.2 (non true bypass version)
6: Line 6 HX stomp

Now, the other pedals are run in loops inside the line 6. I have my line 6 predominately set up as my preamp. The first block in all presets is a hard comp comp controlled by foot switch 1, foot switch two is something different on each preset and foot switch 3 is always block two in the path and is my custom whammy on/off which is controlled By the MXR Dunlop mini expression.
The Sansamp MIDI Mouse is preset up/down on the HX stomp.

Loop 1 and 2 are always on in every preset. Loop 1 is always the third last block, Loop 2 the second last block and the final block is always a preamp without a cab sim and almost always the Ampeg SVT 4 pro or the Aguilar DB 751.

Loop 1- Source Audio C4> Source Audio After Shock > Dunlop Mini Bass Wah

Loop 2- TC Electronic Corona Chorus> TC Flashback 2 Delay. There is usually an MXR tap tempo that lives between the wah and expression that is the tap tempo for all delay options on the Flashback however I have it off at the moment switching something else, it shall return.

So then the signal comes out one of the line 6 outputs back into to the walrus and to FOH and the other goes to my amp.

And yes, we use a couple millisecond delay at the mix to compensate for phase issues between the two signals dry/wet.

My power supply’s are the One Spot CS 7 and the Rockboard ISO V6.

It’s a pedal train Classic 1. I have intentionally restricted myself to this particular board and size. Mainly for travel-ability and also creativity. I had to think really long and hard to get the maximum out of the real estate and I think I did well. Obviously tons of presets on the Line 6 but the Chorus is two choruses and a flanger, the delay is like 12 different delays, the C4 is 6 different synths and the drive is 3 drives.

much love, J-D.R.K ✌️ 

IMG_5620.jpeg

Edited by JobuDRK79
  • Like 1

I've barely spent any time in my musicroom this year with other commitments going on. Getting back into it lately and i've been on a big purge with pedals.

Punted a TC Spark, T-Rex Quint Machine, EHX Green Russian Nano, Valeton OC10 thanks to the classifeds on here, few more to go!

So far they've gone towards bringing in a Boss OC-5 and an Ampeg SGT-DI... with a Catalinbread Giygas Fuzz and MXR Envelope Filter en route from reverb.

Photos to follow when I get my more all hooked up again. Any recommendations for patch cables, specifically the low-profile type?

9 hours ago, Ramsay777 said:

I've barely spent any time in my musicroom this year with other commitments going on. Getting back into it lately and i've been on a big purge with pedals.

Punted a TC Spark, T-Rex Quint Machine, EHX Green Russian Nano, Valeton OC10 thanks to the classifeds on here, few more to go!

So far they've gone towards bringing in a Boss OC-5 and an Ampeg SGT-DI... with a Catalinbread Giygas Fuzz and MXR Envelope Filter en route from reverb.

Photos to follow when I get my more all hooked up again. Any recommendations for patch cables, specifically the low-profile type?

Mate! Thanks for stopping by. Great stuff! The Catalinbread will be lots of fun✌️🤓

I personally never got along with the MXR envelope. I tried too, really did want to like it. Owned it like 3 times over the years. Just never got what I wanted from it. Having said that, it is actually a really nice pedal and I am a fan of all the MXR bass stuff, especially the M87 Comp and the bass wahs. 

I use various cables but my fave are the EBS flat patch deluxe and second would be the Rockboard flat patch. The EBS are really flexible, the connectors are very low profile and they are well priced. The trifecta✌️🤓

oh, and the Ampeg SGT is super cool!! Where you going g to put it in your signal chain??

My entire signal chain explained in written form  (currently in the process of rearranging my setup, following is the most likely outcome) :

(*pedals listed in [ red/bold/underline text ] are "always on" effects*)

4 string 28.6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, and strung with Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings, gauge .068 - .052 - .038 - .028, tuned in tenor bass, A standard, tuning, that is as the 4 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning) ->

->> XVive Undulator (tremolo pedal, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) ->> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (used exclusively for an 1 octave up effect, delivered by a custom made Toneprint, dialed in to mimic an 8 string bass/12 string guitar, to fill out more sonic space, mostly used in conjunction with my high gain distortion setup) ->> DigiTech FreqOut (feedback generator) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (sometimes stacked into the HoTone tremolo in front of it, and always mixed with either clean signal or the Behringer phaser from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> HoTone Trem (tremolo, sometimes used with the Monarch Stereo Flanger behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, used with Color switch engaged for deep sweep and high resonance/feedback, and always mixed with the Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, quite raunchy, fuzz-esque, high gain distortion, always used mixed with the {Orange Juice -> Metal Zone} from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2/Univox Superfuzz clone, octave fuzz, always mixed with either clean signal, or {Orange Juice -> Metal Zone}, from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp like overdrive, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, always used stacked into the Boss Metal Zone in front of it, and mixed with the Mosky Black RAT from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (distortion, dialed in at a rather moderate gain setting, always used with the Orange Juice behind it stacked into it, and always mixed with either the Mosky Black Rat, or sometimes the Behringer Super Fuzz, from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Zoom B1Xon (used predominantly as reverb unit, with various different reverb patches, including the always on {very subtle Plate Reverb -> subtle Spring Reverb} reverb patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone, and an extremely thick, lush reverb patch, used as a pad effect with volume swells from the build in expression pedal, though also used for a couple of additional effects, including a prominent "wah" pedal patch and a trippy reverse delay patch) ->> Danelectro Fab Metal (post reverb high gain distortion, often used stacked into the Orange Juice in front of it) ->> Joyo Orange Juice (post reverb medium gain distortion) ->> NUX Tape Core Deluxe (amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay) ->> Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay (clone of the Boss DM-3 Analog Delay) ->> NUX (NBP-5) Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI  (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio) ->

->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with build in HPF, fixed @40Hz -12dB/Oct, engaged, tube driven to just on the verge of breakup point->

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  : 

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->> Effects Return (poweramp input) of a Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W combo amp, with the build in speaker disconnect and instead hooked up to a passive PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (passive full range flat frequency response PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn) // ->> Home practice  ->> The T.Mix Mix 502 (mixer) ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (studio grade, that is FRFR, headphones) // ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

But planning on eventually adding an EHX Attack Decay and the relatively recently released EHX Pico Deep Freeze (smaller version of the regular Freeze, but with more controllable parameters), as well as a TC Electronic Ditto X4 Looper, at some point, and ponder on possibly using my second TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini pedal, loaded with an organ Toneprint.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

12 hours ago, JobuDRK79 said:

Mate! Thanks for stopping by. Great stuff! The Catalinbread will be lots of fun✌️🤓

I personally never got along with the MXR envelope. I tried too, really did want to like it. Owned it like 3 times over the years. Just never got what I wanted from it. Having said that, it is actually a really nice pedal and I am a fan of all the MXR bass stuff, especially the M87 Comp and the bass wahs. 

I use various cables but my fave are the EBS flat patch deluxe and second would be the Rockboard flat patch. The EBS are really flexible, the connectors are very low profile and they are well priced. The trifecta✌️🤓

oh, and the Ampeg SGT is super cool!! Where you going g to put it in your signal chain??

I've only had a quick play with the M82 but im not totally sold tbh 😂 3rd EF and im starting to think they ain't for me. Gonna look for some suggested settings, not sure my EBMM Sterling's red-hot output is helping either. There's an EBS listed in the classifieds that I might check out as a last hoorah...

Been looking at the EBS cables, dearer than some but you get what you pay for with these things.

I got the SGT mainly as a headphone set-up so it's placed at the end of my chain so I can run all my effects through to my headphones. Cracking bit of kit, if I gig again im sure it'll make an appearance for that too!

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

But planning on eventually adding an EHX Attack Decay and the relatively recently released EHX Pico Deep Freeze (smaller version of the regular Freeze, but with more controllable parameters), as well as a TC Electronic Ditto X4 Looper, at some point, as well as possibly my second TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini pedal, loaded with an organ Toneprint.

Baloney, back again mate!! Loving it Bruv✌️🤓what an interesting, well thought out and original set up and approach! 
Appreciate it a lot man👽🤟 and stacking drives is always bloody good fun right? I especially love stacking fuzz into distortion for some good old face melting goodness✌️🤓

have you tried the TC Brainwave? Where you could save a couple of your time prints and have the organ and the octave up in one pedal? I tried the brain wave a little while ago and loved it. I never got on so well with the Sub n. Up but then again I never tried to edit my own sounds, just tried a mates, and much preferred some other pedals over it for the octave up and down. A really cool pedal I had going for a while was the Boss multi over tone. It gave me something between the 8 string bass and and organ sound. When I decided to economize the size of my board (I used to run two large boards live) a lot of those one trick ponies got shelved and I “created” them on the line 6.

thanks so much for taking the time to share your gear and very interesting bass mate. What you using for power supplies and patch cables??

catch you soon my man✌️🤓🌟

7 minutes ago, Ramsay777 said:

I've only had a quick play with the M82 but im not totally sold tbh 😂 3rd EF and im starting to think they ain't for me. Gonna look for some suggested settings, not sure my EBMM Sterling's red-hot output is helping either. There's an EBS listed in the classifieds that I might check out as a last hoorah...

Been looking at the EBS cables, dearer than some but you get what you pay for with these things.

I got the SGT mainly as a headphone set-up so it's placed at the end of my chain so I can run all my effects through to my headphones. Cracking bit of kit, if I gig again im sure it'll make an appearance for that too!

Yeah my man, Envelopes I personally always found difficult to find one that worked for me. I mean I would hear other folks playing them, sounded awesome, get one and be underwhelmed. I run the Source Audio C4 live and a few I Made in the Line 6 and couldn’t be happier. Finally useful Envelope sounds✌️😂🎶 and for sure certain types and kinda bass have a better relationship with certain effect types or specific pedals, that’s for sure 

EBS aren’t cheap, but not stupidly expensive. And I said deluxe, but the standard are fine too, I use both. I have all kinds of cables from super high end to solderless to those elcheapo coloured plastic ones and I go EBS every day of the week

And yeah bro, I was using it (the ampeg) at the end too! And it is a damn good piece of kit. Very very cool. But I am a massive ampeg fan so I am biased😜✌️

let me know how you go with the EBS pedal if you get it? 

On 09/11/2023 at 12:35, JobuDRK79 said:

Baloney, back again mate!! Loving it Bruv✌️🤓what an interesting, well thought out and original set up and approach! 
Appreciate it a lot man👽🤟 and stacking drives is always bloody good fun right? I especially love stacking fuzz into distortion for some good old face melting goodness✌️🤓

have you tried the TC Brainwave? Where you could save a couple of your time prints and have the organ and the octave up in one pedal? I tried the brain wave a little while ago and loved it. I never got on so well with the Sub n. Up but then again I never tried to edit my own sounds, just tried a mates, and much preferred some other pedals over it for the octave up and down. A really cool pedal I had going for a while was the Boss multi over tone. It gave me something between the 8 string bass and and organ sound. When I decided to economize the size of my board (I used to run two large boards live) a lot of those one trick ponies got shelved and I “created” them on the line 6.

thanks so much for taking the time to share your gear and very interesting bass mate. What you using for power supplies and patch cables??

catch you soon my man✌️🤓🌟

Well, what I am looking for in the clean 1 octave up signal is one as authentic/realistic sounding as possible to that of a guitar or octave course 8 string bass, of course pitching up your signal a whole octave is always going to sound somewhat artificial, but after much research I found the Sub'N'Up to get closest, and after much experimenting with customizing Toneprint settings I finally came to a result that I think is the absolute closest to the real thing that you will get with a regular octaver without further specialized synthesizing.

I have previously, a while back, posted a guide how to do this, with my Sub'N'Up Mini settings listed (works for the regular big version of the Sub'N'Up as well):

And to me, judging from the demos I've watched featuring it, the Brainwave just won't cut it for that.

As for power supplies I use 3 linked units of the Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-2AC Pro Modular, with 5 isolated, filtered and short-circuit proof outputs each, 3 outputs that can be switched to deliver either 9V or 12V, and 2 outputs that can be switched to deliver either 9V or 18V, plus some additional daisy chaining from that unit to get power to all my pedals, as those 3 units will "only" get me 15 power outputs :

image.png.7d9d71b25bb9d5998e6e46b7230671de.pngimage.png.928de272a0a6172f8e47fb02d3ae65df.png

And for patch cables I use Rockboard Flat Patch Cable's, of various lengths :

image.png.b6a9dc2b80643eaef3412e6f935b2694.png

6 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, what I am looking for in the clean 1 octave up signal is one as authentic/realistic sounding as possible to that of a guitar or octave course 8 string bass, of course pitching up your signal a whole octave is always going to sound somewhat artificial, but after much research I found the Sub'N'Up to get closest, and after much experimenting with customizing Toneprint settings I finally came to a result that I think is the absolute closest to the real thing that you will get with a regular octaver without further specialized synthesizing.

And to me, judging from the demos I've watched featuring it, the Brainwave just won't cut it for that.

As for power supplies I use 3 linked units of the Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-2AC Pro Modular, with 5 isolated, filtered and short-circuit proof outputs each, 3 outputs that can be switch to deliver either 9V or 12V, and 2 outputs that can be switch to deliver either 9V or 18V, plus some additional daisy chaining from that unit to get power to all my pedals, as those 3 units will "only" get me 15 power outputs :

image.png.7d9d71b25bb9d5998e6e46b7230671de.pngimage.png.928de272a0a6172f8e47fb02d3ae65df.png

And for patch cables I use Rockboard Flat Patch Cables, of various lengths :

image.png.b6a9dc2b80643eaef3412e6f935b2694.png

Nice one mate! Thomann certainly do some good gear through their Harley Benton and various other in house brands. 
I get you with the sub and up, it’s very clean. I am into all the weird and whacky shot so it was “too nice” for me and obviously perfect for what you need.

man, I gotta say, big kudos to TC Electronics. Really really good stuff at very reasonable prices. I know it’s off topic but did you every try their bass amps? Mate, when they first came out a mate had one and I tried it and it was very very good. In fact I was very close to connecting with them before I connected with Markbass as an endorsee. I have big love for that company. 

thanks again for sharing mate, wicked stuff🤟🤓🎶

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JobuDRK79 said:

Nice one mate! Thomann certainly do some good gear through their Harley Benton and various other in house brands. 
I get you with the sub and up, it’s very clean. I am into all the weird and whacky shot so it was “too nice” for me and obviously perfect for what you need.

man, I gotta say, big kudos to TC Electronics. Really really good stuff at very reasonable prices. I know it’s off topic but did you every try their bass amps? Mate, when they first came out a mate had one and I tried it and it was very very good. In fact I was very close to connecting with them before I connected with Markbass as an endorsee. I have big love for that company. 

thanks again for sharing mate, wicked stuff🤟🤓🎶

Nope, I have never tried any of their amps.

Though I have pondered, and am still pondering, on possibly getting their take on a micro amp, the BAM200.

But, as listed in my previous post, my current setup is "amp-less", so will likely get the Harley Benton mirco poweramp instead, to replace the bulky Peavey guitar combo that I currently use for its poweramp, hooked up to a passive FRFR PA speaker.

But if I ever do need a full micro bass amp I will by far most likely get the TC Electronic BAM200.

• Like 1

Folks, I have to say, although I love what Darkglass does and thank them very much for what they have done for us bassists, when the hell are they going to sort out their foot switch situation?? Far out. This is the third foot switch to either be delivered faulty or crap out within a few days of use. Normally with my Darkglass stuff I take it immediately to my tech and he switches out what he calls “super cheap and disappointing” foot switches and replaces them. But this, straight outta the box? Not cool DG, not cool. Let’s spend a euro or two more and send us SOLID switches. Your gear is already in the upper price range, make it tour ready please 

#darkglass