Why become a member? ×

KHDK Electronics TOTALITY Bass Distortion (V-Man Slipknot signature)

JobuDRK79

Guys, Girls, Basskateers!!! Check out this awesome pedal from KHDK pedals….. I just got my hands on one and I must say it is one of the best and most intersting and original bass drives or distortions I have tried in ages! And no, it’s not just for the “Knot heads” it’s bloody good for anything from that modern heaviness to vintage grunt and anything in between. Let me know if you have tried one and what you think! Its drive section is based on the infamous Animato Fuzz. I am loving this for realzzzzz!!! M Here is a YouTube video I made for it if you want to check out some sounds and features and my silly Aussie accent✌️.

peace out and let me know if you like it and what your favourite bass drive is at the moment?!?! I am interested what you are kicking on right now when you want to melt faces or shake foundations

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No one out there in bass chat land want to banter about distortions??🫣 I am shocked😂✌️. Let me know what you are using peeps, keen to see what we are using most….. high gain, tube, fuzz, low gain……what brands are bringing the goods✌️🤓

• Like 1

Okay, I'll bite! 

Nice video and review thanks. I'm not completely sold on Totality, seems at higher distortion levels it needs that clean blend to keep the Bass/definition but then it sounds like a Bass and a Bass with distortion being played in parallel rather than one unified sound? I'm probably not the target audience though as I've never been much of an Animato fan, I prefer smoother more natural sounding distortions.  

Some of my favorite ways of distorting:

• Mild overdrive: Fairfield Barbershop
  • Tube: DHA VT1
  • Tubescreamer: Way Huge Green Rhino V5
  • SVT: Broughton SV Pre
  • Rat: Idiotbox Landphil 
  • Tonebender: MXR Brown Acid
  • Muff: EHX Green Russian

And I'm quite excited to have both of these on order: 

• Overdrive/Fuzz: JPTR FX Tesla Wolf V2.
  • Brassmaster: Latent Lemon. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 3

Good video but not really feeling the pedal. The drive pedal market is so saturated (chortle) that they really need to be really good to stick out.

All subjective but for me there are just too many pedals that do the clean blend better like Damnation Audio stuff and the Lusithand Ground n Pound etc.

7 hours ago, SumOne said:

Okay, I'll bite! 

Nice video and review thanks. I'm not completely sold on Totality, seems at higher distortion levels it needs that clean blend to keep the Bass/definition but then it sounds like a Bass and a Bass with distortion being played in parallel rather than one unified sound? I'm probably not the target audience though as I've never been much of an Animato fan, I prefer smoother more natural sounding distortions.  

Some of my favorite ways of distorting:

• Mild overdrive: Fairfield Barbershop
  • Tube: DHA VT1
  • Tubescreamer: Way Huge Green Rhino V5
  • SVT: Broughton SV Pre
  • Rat: Idiotbox Landphil 
  • Tonebender: MXR Brown Acid
  • Muff: EHX Green Russian

And I'm quite excited to have both of these on order: 

• Overdrive/Fuzz: JPTR FX Tesla Wolf V2.
  • Brassmaster: Latent Lemon. 

Oh Mannnnnnn, what a great collection, talk about boutique, what a great collection✌️😎❤️ what would you consider to be your two “never do a gig without or would never sell” drives in your collection?? And are you running compression before, after or both or non at all?? And gates??

As far as the Totality, yes, it absolutely needs the clean, for my taste and to be at all useful for what I do with drive. Keep in mind on the first sound demo that is “my sound” so there is lots of clean in it. I am (or was) from the school of two amps. Most of my pro career I was running a clean and dirty amp but also that’s my taste in bass drive, unusually don’t drive any of the frequencies below like 200hz and a lot of times only drive above like 500hz but that really depends what type, flavour and vibe I am going for, that’s just a real general idea.  But this pedal does a lot more than I was able to include in the vid.

I have to say, I also never liked Animato and truth be told I expected to plug this in, noodle a few minutes, not really be blown away and just move on. I have had, owned and played so many drives it’s rare something actually grabs me nowa days, but I said in the vides it’s “Umamai” and that’s what I feel. I currently run three drives on my touring board as staple, always a Fuzz, a high gain and a low gain tube type crunch which have chnaged over time, and I have bunches of drives on the shelf and nothing I have has that kinda synthy/fuzzy/gritty tone that this has, it’s a sound into it’s own and I really appreciate that in the market…..it’s somehow original and I really dig it. Again, like anything horses for courses. 

Cheers Bruva!!✌️🤓

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Good video but not really feeling the pedal. The drive pedal market is so saturated (chortle) that they really need to be really good to stick out.

All subjective but for me there are just too many pedals that do the clean blend better like Damnation Audio stuff and the Lusithand Ground n Pound etc.

Thanks mate! Enjoyed making it. Starting to get the hang of the whole thing now that I am a couple in. 

Yeah, I hear ya, there are soooooo many choices but that excites me. Being saturated is a better alternative to starved as it was when I was first getting into effects. Infact it’s only really in the last 10 years or so that dedicated bass drives have really come so far and the choice is so broad so I am certainly the “glass half full” in that aspect. 

The ground and pound is sick!! Damn good pedal! Probably my favourite drive to come out in the last while along with this one. And please, as I said in the previous response to SumOne, that’s how I use my distortions, I specifically go for that “separated sound” especially live. I change it up in the studio but live? Much more clean.

Thanks for the reply bro. Btw do you own the ground and pound?? What was your first ever bass drive? (Or drive you used in the bass)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JobuDRK79 said:

Thanks mate! Enjoyed making it. Starting to get the hang of the whole thing now that I am a couple in. 

Yeah, I hear ya, there are soooooo many choices but that excites me. Being saturated is a better alternative to starved as it was when I was first getting into effects. Infact it’s only really in the last 10 years or so that dedicated bass drives have really come so far and the choice is so broad so I am certainly the “glass half full” in that aspect. 

The ground and pound is sick!! Damn good pedal! Probably my favourite drive to come out in the last while along with this one. And please, as I said in the previous response to SumOne, that’s how I use my distortions, I specifically go for that “separated sound” especially live. I change it up in the studio but live? Much more clean.

Thanks for the reply bro. Btw do you own the ground and pound?? What was your first ever bass drive? (Or drive you used in the bass)

Aye variety is great, can’t like everything!

Yeah got the GNP currently on my board as my main drive. I wouldn’t say it was a overly high gain sound but more noisy I’m shooting for.

For drives I’m running the GNP into the EAE Halberd which provides a baseline level of grit and clank, a little similar to a Rusty Box. That goes into the JF Capo which does some EQ and a sprinkle of special sauce.

I think first ever drive for bass was some a big muff, it’s only the last few years I’ve really gotten into drives/effects. 

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Aye variety is great, can’t like everything!

Yeah got the GNP currently on my board as my main drive. I wouldn’t say it was a overly high gain sound but more noisy I’m shooting for.

For drives I’m running the GNP into the EAE Halberd which provides a baseline level of grit and clank, a little similar to a Rusty Box. That goes into the JF Capo which does some EQ and a sprinkle of special sauce.

I think first ever drive for bass was some a big muff, it’s only the last few years I’ve really gotten into drives/effects. 

Awesome brother! Sounds like quite a gnarly setup! The GNP is a great flavour of drive. Gregor from bass the world YouTube channel was over my way the other week and he was recommending it too. Great piece of kit. 

man, my first drive was one of those orange boss horrible donkey guitar drives. One of my mums work mates back in the day was a guitarist and sold me a drive a chorus a phaser a delay a tuner and an octave in a grey boss plastic pedal case for like $300……. Bargain!! This was like 1996 maybe…. Good deal. Especially when I tell you that the octave happened to be the OC2, which of coarse I had no idea what it was or what it was worth and sold it for next to nothing a year later to buy my first wah……a really shitty George Dennis combination wah and volume 🤓hehe. 
I hated octave, I had no idea how to use it then. But by 1999/2000 octave became a must on my board and have had the same one now for 20 years, to version 2 of the EBS octabass. I have tried every octave under them Sun and this one? Man, it’s my grail, so it sucks I let and OC2 go for like $80 Aussie but if I didn’t I would never have discovered my grail👌😂🎶

• Like 1

YOU are umami, my friend! ;)

On a more serious note though, this distortion pedal, judging from your demo as least, is not my taste.

To be perfectly honest to me the distortion sounded like an undefined thin fizzy layer of absolute chaos going on underneath a clean tone.

Not what I would call a massive drive tone.

But then again I don't think we share the same idea of what makes a great bass tone, so might not entirely be the pedal's fault alone.

As is I'll stick to my cheap Mosky Black Rat in Turbo mode, mixed with parallel clean (or very lightly overdriven) signal at about equal measures via my Boss LS-2.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

YOU are umami, my friend! ;)

On a more serious note though, this distortion pedal, judging from you demo as least, is not my taste.

To be perfectly honest to me the distortion sounded like an undefined thin fizzy layer of absolute chaos going on underneath a clean tone.

Not what I would call a massive drive tone.

But then again I don't think we share the same idea of what makes a great bass tone, so might not entirely be the pedal's fault alone.

As is I'll stick to my cheap Mosky Black Rat in Turbo mode, mixed with parallel clean (or very lightly overdriven) signal at about equal measures via my Boss LS-2.

Hehehe, yes you are probably right mate😂✌️

And yeah, it is super chaotic bro however, thin? It can be, for sure, like lots of fuzz circuits on bass, but I stumbled across some very useable and massive sounds, especially when layering with distorted guitars. personally I mixed a lot of clean with it to get a useable sound. That first sound clip is the sounds that are useable for me and I am for real in saying I have nothing else like it, it’s a stand alone pedal and like it or hate it, I was nicely surprised by its “original voice” which I do not tend to see much now days.

Rats are great man, nice choice indeed! I personally have been using mostly the Dark Glass stuff for years live (B3k/7K, Alpha Omricon/Omega, Duality Fuzz) but  since discovering the Source Audio Aftershock a few years back, that is my holy grail of live drives simply because I have a whole library of presets I made that I just load up what I need when I need it for what ever gig and instead of running 3 or more drive pedals at any time like I used to, most gigs it’s just one (or sometimes two) Aftershocks. And Yeah, I tend to Always have a lot of Clean in my drive BUT my Clean channels in the drive are Always slightly “low gain crunchy punchy” With a Bump at 80, 1.2 and 4K and then i am usually gain driving only above 200 or 500hz which can sound like two basses playing at once or a Clean and dirty Amp and thats really useful to me, especially in a mix and especially in a one guitar band to make that “epically huge sound”.🫣😂✌️There is that lovely phenomenon we know all to well as bassists, where we make an incredible and Phat clean tone or drive tone and then we take it to the practice room or stage and start playing with the other musos and it’s gone, or everyone is telling us to turn down or turn up or we dont hear the phatness and definition or it’s too sharp……. All those lovely things we encounter and gotta deal with when effecting the low wave. It’s like the magic of the P bass, 9/10 it sounds kinda “meh” on its own but then play in a mix and it just sits in the zone.

but yeah mate, I reckon this pedal is certainly not everyone’s taste and in fact if I could only have one drive or two, this would not be one of them, it’s too specific in its voice, but I certainly was well impressed by its “Umamainess” so it gets my vote for a good piece of kit.

cheers Bruv and Rawk On✌️😜🎶

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I almost posted before but changed my mind as the pedal sounds awful to me... I always use some degree of overdrive but this one is not my cup of tea at all. Cool video though! 😁

Luckily the bass in Slipknot is generally inaudible anyway!

Mate! They say hell is the place of opinion-less people, so the fact you have an opinion and know that you don’t like it? That’s damn cool✌️🤓

I like this pedal because it’s cold and divisive. You either like it or don’t and actually prefer gear that I love or hate, I have a cupboard full of stinky poo that fits in the middle….at least I’d I love it it’s in general use and if I don’t I sell it😂🤟

cheers for watching the vid bro, more coming soon. Take it easy😎✌️

• Like 1