Why become a member? ×

Desk channel issues - possible fixes?

Al Krow

I've noticed at a few rehearsal studios that certain channels don't work particularly well and that we need to swap to another of the input channels.

Found that happening with our band desk yesterday - the singer was just not getting much volume from one mic channel input but the adjacent ones were fine. We couldn't fathom any particular reason for this being the case in terms of the settings and that particular input hadn't been particularly "abused".

Have any of you experienced similar issues?

Any thoughts on possible causes and fixes?

Lots of stuff to check really. Most mixing desks in rehearsal rooms have been well abused by the less than knowledgeable. But in the case of your own desk (assuming this is an analogue desk) I’d first check that an input pad hasn’t been accidentally engaged. Then I’d go through 1) check the channel gain is correctly set, 2) check that there’s no compression on the channel, 3) check there’s no extreme eq on the channel,  4) depending on the desk, check that the subject channel is assigned to the correct group and that group master is where you want it to be. 
Sorry if I’m teaching granny to suck eggs with this post, and I’m no expert, but the above is based on my own personal experience. For more detailed help, it’s probably worth sharing which desk you are using and how old it is.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JPJ said:

Lots of stuff to check really. Most mixing desks in rehearsal rooms have been well abused by the less than knowledgeable. But in the case of your own desk (assuming this is an analogue desk) I’d first check that an input pad hasn’t been accidentally engaged. Then I’d go through 1) check the channel gain is correctly set, 2) check that there’s no compression on the channel, 3) check there’s no extreme eq on the channel,  4) depending on the desk, check that the subject channel is assigned to the correct group and that group master is where you want it to be. 
Sorry if I’m teaching granny to suck eggs with this post, and I’m no expert, but the above is based on my own personal experience. For more detailed help, it’s probably worth sharing which desk you are using and how old it is.

Thanks very much for that advice! It is indeed an analogue desk. Already checked for 1 to 4 last night, so shouldn't be an issue, but I'll definitely double check. 

In terms of an input pad being accidentally triggered, what am I looking out for? 

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks very much for that advice! It is indeed an analogue desk. Already checked for 1 to 4 last night, so shouldn't be an issue, but I'll definitely double check. 

In terms of an input pad being accidentally triggered, what am I looking out for? 

The input pad is normally a small button next to or near the input or gain knob (circled in red on this Yamaha example)

IMG_0168.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys, there's no pad on the Soundcraft MTK series which explains 

I'm just back from selling a MB combo to a wonderful 78 y/o bass player (not a BC'er) who's still gigging regularly and been in a band that's been going with the same line up for over 4 decades - very inspiring! I did say I'd double check items 1) to 4) that @JPJ listed and lo and behold the group master switch had indeed been disconnected for that particular channel. So I guess nice and easy! Thanks very much for jumping in though gents - it prompted the rechecking! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers guys, there's no pad on the Soundcraft MTK series which explains 

I'm just back from selling a MB combo to a wonderful 78 bass player (not a BC'er) who's still gigging regularly and been in a band that's been going with the same line up for over 4 decades - very inspiring! I did say, I'd double check items 1) to 4) that @JPJ listed and lo and behold the group master switch had indeed been disconnected for that particular channel. So I guess nice and easy! Thanks very much for jumping in though gents - it prompted the rechecking! 

Great news, pleased to be able to help