Why become a member? ×

Split coil buzz

Dazed

Ok, let's figure it the way it happened.

You remember that there was no noise, or that you didn't notice it, so here is the first problem.

You asked for help, you got it, but didn't take it into account trying to source an already existing problem that you didn't notice before.

Here is why:

When you were playing your instrument before the incident you didn't pay attention to that noise, because you were touching the strings almost all the time cancelling it and focusing on playing.

But after opening the bass, renewing some solders and changing a wire, you noticed that noise, because you were in an environment where it became more obvious and you started focusing on its origin, but it was already there and you didn't notice it.

Then you became mad, only hearing the noise and refusing to admit it was already there before.

This is what an unreliable memory is, nothing else.

Now shield that bass or buy the cable that you can use with other instruments, so you won't alter your bass and live happily.

PS: I studied electronics, ran my own repair shop and your issue is really quite common and easy to solve. 😉

Oh that’s right you were there behind me while I was doing this weren’t you?

I preferred it when you had given up. 

The noise does not stop when I touched the strings or any of the Earth points with my fingers, only when I touch an earth point with a metallic object. 

Your assumptions on what I had done or

played the bass are just that, assumptions and in this case incorrect ones. 

It was a recent purchase, I played the bass for maybe 20 minutes purely to check for problems and found a mechanical issue with the pickup - no interference. That is why the guard came off. 

Please stop assuming things.

Whatever you think you aren’t omnipresent and always correct.

Now, can you remember previously writing  “I give up” ?

I’ll go with that answer thanks🙂

Well you can clearly get back to whatever was the original situation. It seems clear that the wear and tear aspect of removing / refitting the pickguard etc. has weakened the connection - foil is thin and easily broken / torn etc.

Advice has also been offered for simple ways to improve beyond that.

I don't see what the problem is tbh.

• Thanks 1