Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Hofner 189 owners out there?

uk_lefty

I recently acquired a Hofner 189 body on eBay after a speculative low bid. It's "new old stock" so has never been used, not even neck or bridge holes drilled, but it's quite nicely aged and scuffed up. I need to start adding bits to make it into a functioning bass and wanted to hear from anyone who has or had one any of the pitfalls of this beast? It's a bit of an oddity in that it's a jazz style bass but the pickup routs are MASSIVE. Also wondering if there's anything else I should watch out for? I am definitely not looking to faithfully recreate the 189, far from it, but I'd like to be a little sympathetic to the origins of the body. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Have you checked that the neck pocket is at least close to standard Fender dimensions?

Yes but as I've learned before there can still be a lot of variance. I went through three Fender/ Fender copy necks on my last bitsa to get one that both fit and was actually half decent. I'm going to find a neck I like and if needs be see if I can get it made to fit.