Why become a member? ×

Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5 String vs Yamaha BB415

chargrilled

Hello!

I need an all round bass for recording which does rock, nu metal all the way down to gentler indie/ folkie stuff - maybe this is too much to ask for but what do people think would be better out of the Yamaha BB415 and the Warwick Rockbass Corvette for these purposes?

Many thanks in advance

[quote name='chargrilled' post='482059' date='May 7 2009, 03:09 PM']Hello!

I need an all round bass for recording which does rock, nu metal all the way down to gentler indie/ folkie stuff - maybe this is too much to ask for but what do people think would be better out of the Yamaha BB415 and the Warwick Rockbass Corvette for these purposes?

Many thanks in advance[/quote]
They're very different basses having played them both and owned the BB615 (active version of 415).. In particular, the neck width and string spacing is very different, so I think you would need to take those things into account when making a decision of this sort..

Personally, I prefered the Yamaha but that's because of the wider neck and string spacing. You might try them out and feel the exact opposite, but that's what makes this so subjective, as we all have very different tastes..

Good luck with it!

Ok cool - are more/ less spaced out strings an advantage or disadvantage in any way? I haven't got small fingers or anything - by the way my old bass was an Ibanez SRX 505.

I've been looking seriously at the BB415 but it's price has jumped £70 in like 4 months bringing it into a bracket occupied by other basses. At £300 I would definately have bought it

Thanks for all the replies so far by the way

[quote name='chargrilled' post='483047' date='May 8 2009, 04:18 PM']Ok cool - are more/ less spaced out strings an advantage or disadvantage in any way? I haven't got small fingers or anything - by the way my old bass was an Ibanez SRX 505.

I've been looking seriously at the BB415 but it's price has jumped £70 in like 4 months bringing it into a bracket occupied by other basses. At £300 I would definately have bought it

Thanks for all the replies so far by the way[/quote]

Ibanez SRX have 16.5mm String spacing...That's narrow so if you got on with that then the Corvette will feel the same.
The difference with the Yamaha is that the strings are spaced further appart.
Slap bassists worry about spacing more than any and I used to too but after buying so many basses I found that you can addapt to slapping on any width.
It's just the case of how accurate your are and which width feels more comfortable with your hands.