Why become a member? ×

Musicman SUB neck swaps

Grreth

I have a 2005 USA Musicman S.U.B. that I bought from new. It’s had a couple of different scratch plates and pickup covers but, in my younger years, I played in a pretty raucous rock band and it got a bit beaten up.

I’ve since got properly into short scale and also back into fretless playing so had a luthier friend make me a fretless neck to fit my SUB body to give me a short scale fretless.  I love the scale, love playing fretless again and love the MM fretless sound.

However, I have a spare SUB neck knocking about and don’t know whether or not to sell it on its own or put the SUB back together and sell it as a whole and get another body for my fretless neck. 

What in the heck would YOU do?!

Personally I'd just hang on to the SUB neck in case you ever want to put the SUB back together again. I made the mistake of selling a 'spare' Stingray neck a few years ago and shortly afterwards wished I'd kept it!

If you're intent on selling it, then you'd probably realise more value overall by reassembling the USA SUB and selling it as a complete bass and then getting a new body for the SS fretless. USA SUBS are great basses (it's my current gigging bass) and they're pretty well sought after.

If you just want a standard SR body (rather than a custom build) you can get one for around £200 from guitarandbassbuilds.com here - https://guitarandbassbuilds.com/collections/custom-bass-bodies/products/custom-shop-music-man-stingray-bass-body.

58 minutes ago, ikay said:

Personally I'd just hang on to the SUB neck in case you ever want to put the SUB back together again. I made the mistake of selling a 'spare' Stingray neck a few years ago and shortly afterwards wished I'd kept it!

If you're intent on selling it, then you'd probably realise more value overall by reassembling the USA SUB and selling it as a complete bass and then getting a new body for the SS fretless. USA SUBS are great basses (it's my current gigging bass) and they're pretty well sought after.

If you just want a standard SR body (rather than a custom build) you can get one for around £200 from guitarandbassbuilds.com here - https://guitarandbassbuilds.com/collections/custom-bass-bodies/products/custom-shop-music-man-stingray-bass-body.

Thank you! I'll have a look into this.