Why become a member? ×

Selling Cellos

NickA

Wondering what might be the best place to sell 'cellos and bows. 

My dad died a bit ago and I have his two 'cellos and umpteen bows to move on.  One of the 'cellos is seriously valuable, so will probably have to go via a dealer or auction house.  The other "teaching" 'cello is up on Musical Chairs and I might put the more valuable bow up there too ... but it's £10 per listing per 6 months and quite up market  ... probably not the place for several mid quality bows. 

Any suggestions?

...My local people, bass bags, will sell on commission ( only 10% I think) but not right now, as they're moving premises, and not any of the bows.  I'll be talking to bigger dealers about the fancy cello, so can always ask about the bits and bobs.

Can you give more details about the "teaching" cello?

Edit: It's OK, I found it on Musical Chairs.

Pretty sure I could find a home for this in Sheffield, if you struggle to sell it locally. 

Edited by Johncee
  • Like 1

I've put the word out to my own amateur orchestra ( I play bass in it) and a local cello teacher.  Keen to cut out the dealers ;-).

The Benedict Lang and the fancy Roy Collins bow on musical chairs.  Let's see what happens!

I don't expect to sell locally really, and Sheffield's not far.  😉

Edited by NickA