Why become a member? ×

Club Foot - that solo!

asingardenof

I'm struggling with my picking speed during the solo in the middle of Club Foot. The rest of the song is fine, and I know all the notes and whatnot for the solo, but I just can't get my right hand to cooperate and stay at speed and on target for the whole thing. It doesn't help that I need to change grip to achieve the required speed from the one during the verse and chorus, but I can maintain it for about three or four bars until the notes get high, the string tension changes, and I find I'm slipping a load of notes. I've tried it with a stiff pick (1.14mm Tortex), lighter pick (1mm nylon), at the bridge, at the neck, in between, but nothing's worked. We're hoping to incorporate this into our set, and the band think I'm doing OK, but I'd like to nail it, so any tips on this would be very much appreciated.

On 01/10/2023 at 17:10, asingardenof said:

I'm struggling with my picking speed during the solo in the middle of Club Foot. The rest of the song is fine, and I know all the notes and whatnot for the solo, but I just can't get my right hand to cooperate and stay at speed and on target for the whole thing. It doesn't help that I need to change grip to achieve the required speed from the one during the verse and chorus, but I can maintain it for about three or four bars until the notes get high, the string tension changes, and I find I'm slipping a load of notes. I've tried it with a stiff pick (1.14mm Tortex), lighter pick (1mm nylon), at the bridge, at the neck, in between, but nothing's worked. We're hoping to incorporate this into our set, and the band think I'm doing OK, but I'd like to nail it, so any tips on this would be very much appreciated.

Try one of the round corners of a Dunlop Nylon .73mm pick.

If it's a picking speed thing, then slowing the song down and going over it again and again and again is the only thing that's really worked for me.

You need to train those muscles - stick with your usual plectrum and just keep at it.

Sorry, boring answer.

Edited by ahpook

On 03/10/2023 at 16:23, ahpook said:

If it's a picking speed thing, then slowing the song down and going over it again and again and again is the only thing that's really worked for me.

You need to train those muscles - stick with your usual plectrum and just keep at it.

Sorry, boring answer.

I managed to find a little hack where I finagled the pick into the bend of the first joint of my index finger, which makes it a much more solid anchor so I can focus on the speed rather than if my pick is going to go flying somewhere. That and simplifying the bass line from what's on the recording.