Why become a member? ×

NPD: Demon FX Harmonic Booster

stewblack

DFX raises ire in the breasts of some people, much as Behringer used to. 

I won't join that debate; suffice it to say, I am not a lost customer, won over by cheap copies. I'm simply not in the income bracket to try Darkglass pedals.

This little beauty

IMG_20230916_124703.thumb.jpg.a55984e662d3e63dca35f5afae662103.jpg

is quite simply the best eq pedal I've ever used.

And I've tried a few. 

One of my favourite amps has a control called 'Shape' and it provided quite a remarkable range of tonal sculpting. The 'Character ' on this is very similar. It transforms any bass, any way you want it. The mid range parametric covers everything you want in that crucial area, and boy do the bass and treble make a big difference: a little goes a long way.

If you can afford the original by all means buy it. If not Affordaboard has these at a very reasonable price.

• Like 5

I’ve got one of these - absolutely bloody brilliant isn’t it! I’ve never used a Darkglass HB so I’ve never been able to say how close to the real thing it is, but it’s an excellent pedal either way. Only gripe is sometimes I have to have two goes to click it on (or off) so presumably that’s the cheap materials but it’s not a big deal and it’s an always on pedal for me generally anyway. I’m humming and ha’ing about giving the D7K Ultra & the ‘Call76’ a go too. 

• Like 2

If it’s the same as the Darkglass HB then it’s 80Hz/5kHz - I really like the bass boost on it, it’s a lot less boomy and punchier than some & I’ve never boosted treble past 1-2 o’clock even when I’m using it live as a ‘slap’ boost pedal with plenty top end needed, it’s a bit like a Sadowsky preamp in that way where the treble sounds nice but you really don’t need a lot. 

Yeh I can see what u mean - it goes nicely before my Tone Hammer DI as that’s 40hz/4khz with sweepable mids as well, so I have a slight boost at 40, a bigger boost at 80, a mid bump around 400 on the TH and cut mids around 900 on the HB, and then I generally leave treble alone, but there’s obviously 2 diff frequencies there too, and the 5k is pretty usable. 10k seems extreme! The HB is really all about the mids IMO and for me I think it’d work quite well with that MB pre & the frequencies it doesn’t cover & for 50 quid new from the U.K. it’s well worth a punt 

4 hours ago, thisisswanbon said:

Ah, the bass freq on my MB preamp is 70hz so seems a bit pointless... might fill the holes in the mid and treble EQ though (Low mid 400hz, High mid 2.5khz, treble 10khz).  Damn you, Stew... I thought I was sorted! 😅

Never!