Why become a member? ×

Changing existing attachments

tauzero

Question

I'm sure I remember that it used to be possible to edit an attachment in place - so if you had a large picture (generally an image.png generated by pasting a picture), you could take that attachment, reduce its size (eg by converting to a jpg) and then replacing the attachment with the new file. This mean that any existing posts with references to that attachment would still show the picture, but it would take less storage space. I suspect that this changed with the big update to forum software some years ago. The current functionality is limited to deleting attachments. Might there be any way of implementing an attachment edit?

4 answers to this question

On 08/09/2023 at 00:57, Kiwi said:

You should be able to double click on the image while the edit window is open.  In just the same way that you are prompted to when inserting the image.

Would that just affect the post I'm editing? I'm thinking of cases where I've used the same attachment in a number of posts - would I have to edit all of them?

I've done it for a couple of images - it's quite a bit of faff as you have to edit the post as well as loading and resaving the image. It's only an issue when pasting an image directly, as the image is saved as image.png which isn't particularly well compressed.