Why become a member? ×

“The one” and bass chasing!

TheJonJonJonJon

30 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I hate buying and selling basses but i agree 100% that bass price doesn't guarantee a great bass. My Geddy Jazz CIJ i got new in a sale at £625 around 2010 and its just a fantastic bass. Compared to the pricier USA Jazz basses i've owned or tried over the years it just knocks them out the park IMO.

Dave

100% agree! One of the best basses I’ve owned was a Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass. Everything about it was far beyond its £380 price tag. a bass I sold but, wish I hadn’t!

Further up the scale I recently bought and returned a Sterling Ray 35 (I loved the purple sparkle finish with the black hardware and roasted maple neck). For a £1300 bass, the list of issues was as long as my arm! Absolute crap.

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, TheJonJonJonJon said:

100% agree! One of the best basses I’ve owned was a Squier James Johnston Jazz Bass. Everything about it was far beyond its £380 price tag. a bass I sold but, wish I hadn’t!

Further up the scale I recently bought and returned a Sterling Ray 35 (I loved the purple sparkle finish with the black hardware and roasted maple neck). For a £1300 bass, the list of issues was as long as my arm! Absolute crap.

Our singer has a gorgeous Squier Jazz in natural wood with rolled maple neck and if it wasn't a left hander i'd have bought it from him. The neck is almost as good as my Geddy Jazz and it just feels so well built. 

Dave

• Like 1

My attitude is they are tools, and you need the right tool for the job.

At the moment, I do quite long gigs, need some low notes, haven't got loads of £ and want to leave it in pubs between sets without too much worry of theft and not worry to much about a cosmetic ding or two, I've had a dislocated shoulder that hasn't healed properly so can easily get a bad neck/back with heavy Basses.....So 'the one' right now is a 3.3kg Ibanez EHB 1005 MS and I haven't noticed many better alternatives - if I do I'll be buying them and selling the Ibanez without much sentimentality. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 2