Why become a member? ×

NBD OBass

smithy

Actually having been in the market for a Gretsch Junior Jet, my wife and me payed a visit to MusicStore.

By walking around I stumbled into that Orange O Bass and it virtually blew me away.

I know that this is a bass you like or you don`t. I do! A lot!!

Absolutely impressed by the look, handling and of course that stunning sound I forgot about the Gretsch and my better half bought that O Bass in off black as a present to my 60th birthday .

Short review:

3,7 kg, neck width at nut a tad over 43mm, neck thickness  1st fret 22mm -12th fret 24,5, no sharp fret ends, nicely levelled frets.

As we have a very high humidity at the moment, I first decided to let it sit for a while to acclimate, but since the neck had a slight backbow and just needed loosening the truss rod, I couldn´t resist and gave it a first setup.

At the moment: neck relief 0,2mm, action 17th fret 2mm, height at 1st fet 0,5mm, no buzzing even when digging in. The neck measurements might suggest a bigger neck than it actually feels. To me it feels perfect.

I put Pyramid pure nickle rounds .040-.100 on it.

The pots really regulate the tone and volume in a very linear way. Pickups sound brilliant and the bass offers a real wide variety of sounds.

The often mentioned neck dive is no issue to my eyes (though it is there) as I always use to let my right forearm rest on the body, and I´m done.

Well, long post - short review, but I had to share it.

Cheers

• Like 2

Well, let´s see. I´ve got a cell phone, made one or another call with it and I definitely know it´s able to make pics...........

I only have to find out how....

This forum isn´t just learning about bass, no?

There is neck dive, but as I said , resting your forearm on the body ( I always do ) remedies that at once. In case you´re wearing the bass hung low , it might cause serious difficulties, indeed.

Thought about the colour as well. But seeing that orange in nature, it appeared a bit too garish to me. But that´s a matter of personal taste.

• Like 2