Why become a member? ×

Japanese Fender Help.

Nothingman

Hi all, 

Looking for some advice on a Japanese (CIJ/MIJ) markings. 

I picked up a p-bass a few years ago. I didn’t buy it coz it’s Japanese, I got it to fill a p-bass hole in my life.

And it was purchased from reputable dealer  who I have used both before and since. 

It’s beautiful and I have modded it to suit. 

Anyhoo, today I noticed something odd. 

On the front of the headstock it says ‘Made In Japan’. But at the bottom of the neck it just had a serial number. 

The serial number (R xxxxxx) dictates it’s CIJ ‘04-05 but there is no iconic ‘crafted in Japan’ above it. 

Has anyone seen this before? CIJ missing from above the SN? 

Could it be a fake? 

I love this bass and play it all the time, so would never part with it. 

Just an odd thing I noticed. 

Any info appreciated. 

Edited by Nothingman

I wouldn't necessarily say its a fake. I believe that Made in Japan was used up until about 1995 and then switched to Crafted in Japan from 1995 onwards. I would say the Made in Japan on the headstock is just a design logo and not anything more than some sort of logo, similar to a 40th Anniversary or 75th Anniversary type logo.

For reference I adore Fender Japan basses, they are the nicest Fender's I have played, especially mid to late 80's models. I have two and they are my work horses. What I like the most about them is the high gloss necks rather than the satin necks that you tend get on US basses. 

Edited by Linus27

Yeah I hear that. 

It is just I’m used to seeing Made/Crafted I  in Japan above the serial number on the bottom of the neck. 

Would appear though, there’s a few Jazz and P’s with the same as mine. But only for that year. 

A mysterious oddity, that’s for sure. 

I’m sure that for a brief period in about ‘94 (not sure for how long) it depended what the model  was as to where the ‘Made in Japan’ was printed. From memory, the Vintage models had the spaghetti logo on the headstock and the ‘Made in Japan’ was above the s/n on the reverse of the dusty end of the neck. Standard/Contemporary models had the transition logo on the headstock with ‘Made in Japan’ also on face of the headstock.

So, not sure whether it was a similar kind of  thing with the CIJs in the mid 00s for a bit?

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 2