Why become a member? ×

Lapel mics - advice please for an enthusiasts conference

Any Conference A/V experts out there?

(One of) my other hobbies is an interest in the author [b]Nevil Shute[/b]. Once every two years, somewhere in the world, us Shutists have a conference. This is a small affair, and this July it will be held in the Novotel, York. We are hoping for around 40+ delegates.

It's a not-for-profit affair, and I'm in charge of the A/V & recording again. Hopefully it will be easier this year, as it's my own P.A. and not in Alice Springs, like it was last time. We tend to use lapel mics for the (human) speakers, and a roving wireless mic for delegates to use for questions.

I can probably borrow a wireless mic from one of my band's vocalists, so it's two lapel mics I want to source. I'd rather we buy, than hire, as this crops up every time. The trouble is, I don't know what the right price, product or source is. I mean, you can pick them up on eBay for under a tenner but????

Any advice will be very gratefully appreciated.

Only thing I know about this is that like with any mics, you pay for what you get. Not that you have to break the bank to get something decent, but a lapel mic for under a tenner isn't a particularly good investment. One of my uni tutors regularly gives talks, and he usually takes his own Shure lapel mic (I think it might be wrieless but I'm not sure), and he says it's great.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='480129' date='May 5 2009, 05:25 PM']Is £100 for both too cheap? Maybe more if it can be shown to save money over two conferences.[/quote]

Nah man, fifty apiece should get you something pretty decent. Look at Shure, Sennheiser and AKG, three brands which all do good and reasonably-priced stuff. There's other brands too, but I don't know as much about them although they may have some cool stuff.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='480141' date='May 5 2009, 05:32 PM']Nah man, fifty apiece should get you something pretty decent. Look at Shure, Sennheiser and AKG, three brands which all do good and reasonably-priced stuff. There's other brands too, but I don't know as much about them although they may have some cool stuff.[/quote]
Thanks, I'll start Googling for a reputable supplier.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='481017' date='May 6 2009, 02:15 PM']What about hiring a decent pair?

Also be aware of P.A. volume and feedback issues with lapel mic's - it can be awkward to get the levels you need.[/quote]

Mmm. I just hope I can sort the feedback bit out in situ.

I have just got a price on a week's hire for a pair of Seinheisers: including VAT & Insurance £230.

If I can beat that for an actual purchase, I hope to persuade the treasurer to let us buy rather than hire, on the basis that it will save money over two or more of our conferences.

And I'm assuming that within the price I get all the gubbins to make 'em work!

What were they.... MKE-2's..... will be more expensive..... Give Ian a call at Mercury AV, he's doing ME-2 for about £52.00

remember thought that most lavalier/lapel mics are used on wireless systems so you will need to terminate them with an XLR or buy an appropriate cable/conector

This should be within your budget..... £10 for two!!! :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Cordless-Clip-on-Lapel-Tie-Microphone-Mic-Set_W0QQitemZ170328817417QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Music_Instruments_Microphones_MJ?hash=item170328817417&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Cordless-Cl...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]