Why become a member? ×

As if there was any doubt...

Dad3353

Despite the above ^^^^, I still maintain that it's a broad spectrum, and some folk get on with swapping over for certain things, others less so. Obviously, a sample of one as 'proof of concept' is not enough in itself, but I am right-handed for most things (writing, cutting vegetables etc...) and played drums from the outset right-handed. After a couple of years, and not feeling the progress I was wanting, I swapped the kit over (bass pedal on the left foot, hi-hat to my right...) and have never looked back. I peel potatoes 'righty', but, as the peeler has a two-edged blade, I often peel 'lefty', just so as to use the other half of the blade. In my model-making, I often have to use my scissors in the left hand, or use power tools held in the left hand. I agree that to force anyone, especially young children, to do things 'righty' is an abomination (our grand-son is a hard 'lefty'...), but would always encourage anyone to at least try stuff the other way round (yes, righty trying things out with their left hand, too...). I've no idea as to the statistical spread, but I would guess that, most folk fall into the 'bell curve', and that their are many that are ambidextrous, at least to some degree. Those at either end of this bell curve are, I would guess, more of a minority than the basic '10%' are left-handed'. That's all I'm suggesting. :rWNVV2D:

Very interesting thread!

A couple of tuppence worth...

Out of all the musicians I know and have played with over the years, only three of them are now actual professional musicians. All three are female. I think that, more often than not, women are more sensible and organised than men and are better at focusing on the things required to get a thing done. Like a career in music. 

This is only an observation from my own tiny snapshot of life btw.

I have a left handed friend who learned to play the guitar right handed and was very very good at playing that Joe Satriani style of guitar.

Years later he taught himself how to play left handed as he felt his rhythm was better in his left hand. 

25 years on he is equally adept at playing both lefty or righty, however, he sounds like two very different musicians depending on which way he's playing. Very interesting! He writes completely differently depending on which side of the brain is leading the way it seems. 

He's not a professional musician though, just a smart ar$e 😄

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1