Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass Berlin Combo w 15 whoofer

Francisco

I’ve had my MB for several years and aprox 6 months ago I went to power it up for a gig and no sound was coming out. It lit up but didn’t produce sound. I kept fiddling with the on & off switch till it finally started working. 
Now I’m not getting anything out of it. The amp powers up but no sound I can hear the fan working. Sometimes when I shut it down I can hear the bass through the speaker. Not sure what the problem is.

I think you are going to need a tech to take a look. Very hazardous to go looking inside yourself.

Most amps the first thing to check would be an fx loop fault. MB are mostly a bit different but some people mod them to work like most amps by changing the wiring over from parallel to series. So that could have failed or it might be one of the few that come with a series loop and gone faulty.

You can see if plugging a cable between send and return gets you sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The bad news is that MB aren't really home repairable and that in the UK at least after sales support is poor. The good news is that it sounds like at least something is working and that there is a possibility of a few checks before you have to seek drastic and expensive repairs. It's possible that with sound coming out when you turn off that there is a power supply issue or it could be a contact issue. Turning it on and off when everything lights up and the fan switches on is encouraging.

The fx send and return are interesting. The return gives you access to the power amp bypassing the pre amp and controls, Try just plugging something into the return and see if that comes out of the speaker, it might be quite quiet because you will have less gain at that point but if it is undistorted the amp section is working. 

Plugging in a jump lead between send and return as above might help too. They are linked internally with a switch which sometimes corrodes causing problems. If that re-establishes the connection you know the problem, it can be worth spraying a little switch cleaner into the sockets and wiggling a plug in and out to clean up the sockets.

If not you are probably going to be in the hands of a tech. 

• Thanks 1