Why become a member? ×

SIRE MARCUS MILLER V5 24 FRET

So, it's here and it is truly excellent. I have to say I am impressed. Save for the nut, which is a tad higher than I'd like to be, I really can't see how this could be beat for the price. Excellent jazz tone. Having had an American Deluxe Fender, I'd say that this sounds as good or better. Will record something later.

5 minutes ago, biro said:

So, it's here and it is truly excellent. I have to say I am impressed. Save for the nut, which is a tad higher than I'd like to be, I really can't see how this could be beat for the price. Excellent jazz tone. Having had an American Deluxe Fender, I'd say that this sounds as good or better. Will record something later.

Even tho I said it was ugly this has made me think about getting one. There’s a nice one one the marketplace now, I prefer a 5 but I still like a 4 too. How’s the passive tone control?

Not quite on / off, but definitely less taper than my Am Pro I.

BTW, I think if I keep it I might drop a stingray pick up between the J pick ups and get myself a poor man's Atelier Z.

Edited by biro

Ok, so: I am still a bit on the fence as to whether or not I am going to keep it, but I am leaning towards the affirmative. Overall, it plays wonderfully—it is just a question of whether or not I can get on with the concept of a 24 fret jazz bass, which I love in principle and feel weird about in practice.

Fit and finish is great—not entirely flawless, but great. Fretwork is stellar, except perhaps the 24th fret is slightly higher than I'd like it to be. But I play with a ridiculously low action (just a hair over 1mm on the G at the 24th fret), so I would be surprised if this was an issue for anybody else. Nut a bit high (again, ridiculous action for me), and the truss rod works like a charm. The metal pickguard is a nice addition and feels nice to the touch.

Tonally, it is definitely a Jazz Bass, very close to my Jazz bass with CS pick ups. This feels a little less airy and perhaps more organic. It feels as if there are more mids and bass. Judging by some lazy playing over backing tracks, it sits in a mix beautifully and has a nice woody, throaty tone on the bridge pick up soloed. The neck pick up soloed is nice and creamy with the tone rolled off, nice and gritty when you open it up and summon your inner Geddy. The tone control is not as continuous as that in my Fender US Pro, but does the job nicely. The B string sounds great. No complaints whatsoever.

As to the bass itself, it appears to me to have been built very well. It is ever so slightly neck-heavy, but no more than most other 5 string Js I have tried. With a leather strap, I did not feel that at all. 

For me, it sits in a territory between my Soundgears and my Fenders. I like to think that I am a Jazz Bass kind of person, and to see the Soundgear as the evolution of that philosophy. This is much more traditional and closer to the inspiration, and works extremely well for whatever situation may call for 24 frets and a 5 string. 

• Like 1

I’ve spent tonight looking at 5 string V5’s/V5R’s (24 fret and normal) and I really fancy one, but when it comes down to it, I don’t actually need the 24 frets and the normal V5’s are at least a ton cheaper - I’d prefer a 24 fret and I would use it when practicing but I don’t have much use for it bar the odd Jazz gig when I’m allowed off the leash haha. The pickup spacing on the V5’s is 70’s JB spacing whereas v3’s & v7’s is 60’s spacing (except the V7 Vintage range), so I think that helps give them that great Jazz tone. I’m definitely leaning towards something in the range now there’s some feedback on them, I’m just undecided what to go for - the 24 fret body has grown on me, especially in 5 string

If it's of any help, I did not find the tonal difference in slapping on a 24 fret rather than on a 20 fret to be nearly as marked as I had expected. I owned two V7s (first generation and second generation) and they were both very nice, the second being spectacular with an almost birdseye maple fretboard. Quality-wise, I think we're the V5 is up there. 

So V7 v V7 the only real difference is that the V7 is active then - the V5 quality is the same? I remember the passive switch/active bypass mode on my V7’s always sounded decent tbf 

I wouldn’t have expected a significant difference in slap sounds really, I rarely above the 9th or 10th fret when slapping tbh

Edited by Paddy777

• 2 months later...

I picked up a V5 24 fret. Colour is more subdued in person. Camera on my phone makes it look brighter than it really is and doesn't capture the soft almost pastel hue under artificial lighting.

Really impressed with the fit and finish of this bass.(fret ends could have been a bit tidier but sorted that) This V5 could well be a keeper!

20240114_201512.thumb.jpg.004dc8e1dd7c48eb889c87c0e44e7f6c.jpg

• Like 6