Why become a member? ×

Grrr! What do you hate about gear you love?

4 minutes ago, GlamBass74 said:

My Yamaha BB734a seems to play 20 or so wrong notes at every gig i play. 

I've tried taking the strings off and putting them on again, but the issue remains

I'm stumped as to what it could be...... ;)

Duh, it's the drummer of course...

My SSL2+ interface only have usb-c. The laptop I mainly use to record only has usb-c. This was part of the reason I bought it. Less fuss.

I had to update the interface the other day as it was not functioning without it.

It required a usb-b. Brilliant.

My drawer of "why do I even have these" came to the rescue but it was an absolute faff and even though I tried to be systematic with all the cables and adapters I have no idea why installing the update suddenly worked. Maybe my colourful language finally was in the right order. Looking forward the next update.

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

IME if you worry about this, then it will happen and you will be upset.

for all of the 90s I used an Overwater original bass, which I picked up second hand at a bargain price, but which I subsequently discovered would have been very expensive and time-consuming to replace as a new one would have had to be a custom order and would probably not have come with the original filter-based pre-amp. I can't recall this bass picking up any additional dents to the few almost invisible ones it already had when I bought it. Interestingly the much cheaper bass I had as a spare but luckily never needed to use at any gigs turned out to be covered in bashes and bumps when I came to sell it, despite the fact that it had spent most of it's life in its case or on a stand at the back of the stage.

Since then I have been playing Gus G3s live including 6 years of almost weekly gigs with The Terrortones where we were on the bill with Punks and Psychobillies. IMO if I don't play these expensive basses at gigs there would be no point in having them. Also just because an instrument is relatively cheap doesn't mean it's going to be easy to replace. In my other band I play the relatively cheaper Eastwood Hooky. As this has become my main bass with this band and there is no suitable alternative, I've been looking at getting a spare. I think I've seen two come up for sale second hand in the last 18 months and both went almost instantly. For a new one you have to pre-order and then wait 6 months. 

IME the lack of an easily obtained suitable replacement is more of a worry than getting a bump or scrape on an expensive instrument, so I've stopped worrying about it altogether.

This intrigued me.  Are you happy to share a picture of said high end bass?