Why become a member? ×

Using the WRONG pedal.

Happy Jack

I have an Eden WTX-260 amp, and a Digitech FS-3 footswitch intended to operate some Digitech effects I have.

What happens if I plug the FS-3 into the WTX-260? Success? Nothing? Sparks? A loud bang?

Please DON'T guess! I can make guesses for myself.

If anyone knows for sure, I'd be very grateful to know BEFORE I try it!

:)

If its a switch with a mono jack plug on the end it can be one of two sorts, latching or momentary, digital stuff generally wants momentary. Latching means the switch stays in one place when switched, in either on or off, momentary is just a prod that tells when its plugged into to change state. Gernerally if you plug a latching switch into something that wants a momentary, you have to hit the button twice to make it work. See if your head specs mention which sort it is.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='478865' date='May 4 2009, 11:47 AM']See if your head specs mention which sort it is.[/quote]

Just been checking - nothing in the Manual, nothing on the Eden website.

My main concern is whether plugging in the wrong footswitch is capable of damaging the amp.

[quote name='small_lump_of_green_putty' post='478968' date='May 4 2009, 01:17 PM']Is the pedal likely to send current into places its not needed? Is the socket likely to send current into the pedal? If no to either question then what could possibly go wrong? Either it will do the job of switching the audio signal or it won't.[/quote]

My original thoughts, too.

Then I thought about (possibly) wrecking a really nice amp because I don't understand electricity, and couldn't be bothered to ask ... and I posted here instead. :)

[quote name='BOD2' post='478979' date='May 4 2009, 01:24 PM']Does the Digitech FS-3 have 3 separate footswicthes on it ?

What kind of plug is on the end of the cable from the FS-3 ?

And what would you be wanting the footswitch to do on the WYX-260 ?[/quote]

Yes, three stomp switches.

The cable is a bog-standard 1/4" jack-jack.

The Eden footswitch doesn't actually do much! That's why I don't want to buy one. It engages the Mute function for tuning, and can bypass the Enhance control and ... erm ... that's it really.

I'm rather hoping it will also allow me to bypass the Send/Return loop, but the manual doesn't say that it does this.

Ok.... now I'm confused then.

I can't figure out how a single jack plug can carry the signals from 3 separate footswitches ! There must be something clever going on with the FS-3.

For the Eden, it probably uses a stereo jack plug and two footswitches - one for mute and another for the bypass. A stereo cable can carry two separate signals so that would make sense.

But the FS-3 has me stumped ! I suspect that it would not work with the Eden.

Looks like it uses a stereo jack for the 3-buttons. Bit more searching came across [url="http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=45094.0"]this[/url]. Basically, according to that page all the switches are momentary (i.e. they connect when pushed down and disconnect when released) and are connected as follows:

[quote]"Mode" button – tip connected to ground.
"Down" button – ring connected to ground.
"Up" button – tip and ring connected to ground.[/quote]

According to [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3574010&postcount=39"]this post[/url] over at T.B. the Eden needs a latching footswitch, so I think you're out of luck. While it probably won't break anything by plugging in the Digitech one, it will only stay muted/bypassed while the buttons on the pedal are held down, which would be a little inconvenient! You should be able to pick up a latching footswitch pretty cheaply elsewhere though.