Why become a member? ×

Pedal for controlling audio player

ped

Alright guyszz

I’m thinking out loud about a pedal which could be used to control playback on Spotify. Just pause/skip back etc. 

I have seen this one which works with YouTube among other platforms (I’ve asked if it works with YouTube music or just video player) but it doesn’t support Spotify which is where most of my playing-along with happens, or Moises which is my next most used playback app. 

https://vidami.com/collections/all/products/vidami-blue

I doubt there’s anything out there but I’d love to be wrong!!

I use an Elgato Stream Deck Pedal to control playback of our computer backing live. It's three pedals that can be configured to send any commands you want.

I use mine with Logic and is set up so the main pedal sends a "space bar" command for play/pause; the left pedal is "return" which goes back to the beginning of the song; and the right pedal triggers a macro (using the Keyboard Maestro utility) that closes the current song, switches to the Finder, scrolls down one file in the list on opens that song.

The pedal can also be configured with different command sets for different applications, although I haven't needed that functionality so far.

It is relatively expensive, but is far more solidly built than a lot of pedals I have seen for supposed gig-worthy devices and it connects via USB which makes it more reliable than the wireless versions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I use an Elgato Stream Deck Pedal to control playback of our computer backing live. It's three pedals that can be configured to send any commands you want.

I use mine with Logic and is set up so the main pedal sends a "space bar" command for play/pause; the left pedal is "return" which goes back to the beginning of the song; and the right pedal triggers a macro (using the Keyboard Maestro utility) that closes the current song, switches to the Finder, scrolls down one file in the list on opens that song.

The pedal can also be configured with different command sets for different applications, although I haven't needed that functionality so far.

It is relatively expensive, but is far more solidly built than a lot of pedals I have seen for supposed gig-worthy devices and it connects via USB which makes it more reliable than the wireless versions.

Amazing, thanks, that looks bang on. Maybe I can post on Basschat using my feet one day. Thanks for the link, as long as it works on my ancient iMac then I think I'm good to go.

I'm still using the software that I downloaded a year ago when I bought mine, but it works perfectly with my 2010 MacPro running High Sierra, as well as the slightly newer MacBook Pro we use live.

The only thing to watch is that the pedals are hinged at the front because it is designed primarily to be used by streamers who are at down in front of their computer. That means that you have to press down at the back of the pedal to get definite result, which is not what we as musicians are used to in pedals, and takes a while to get comfortable with especially standing up which how I use it.

Just now, BigRedX said:

I'm still using the software that I downloaded a year ago when I bought mine, but it works perfectly with my 2010 MacPro running High Sierra, as well as the slightly newer MacBook Pro we use live.

The only thing to watch is that the pedals are hinged at the front because it is designed primarily to be used by streamers who are at down in front of their computer. That means that you have to press down at the back of the pedal to get definite result, which is not what we as musicians are used to in pedals, and takes a while to get comfortable with especially standing up which how I use it.

OK good to know, thanks - I think that would work for me because I'm mainly looking to use it for playing ta my computer. It could fit quite neatly in front of my Bassboard so that hinge arrangement could work better actually, I didn't even consider that.

3 minutes ago, ped said:

OK good to know, thanks - I think that would work for me because I'm mainly looking to use it for playing ta my computer. It could fit quite neatly in front of my Bassboard so that hinge arrangement could work better actually, I didn't even consider that.

It's designed so that you can rest your feet on the pedals and only have them activate when you actually push down with your toes. Standing up I always have to remember to press at the far end of the pedal to activate it.

• Like 1

Slight update. I posted about a Bluetooth/Midi and hardware footswitch in the Boss WAZA Air thread and it turns out their top level pedal does everything I need in terms of controlling my computer as well as allowing me to control my WAZA headphones on the go. Managed to get one on eBay so I’ll let you know how it goes, it certainly looks very capable. 

https://xsonicaudio.com/pages/airstep

That does look interesting and a couple of extra footswitches are always useful, as I've been thinking of adding loop on/off functionality to our set up to allow longer intros etc.

The only thing that puts me off is that it looks as though set-up/editing is done via your phone. Hopefully there's also an option to to use a proper computer. Please let me know how you get on with this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

That does look interesting and a couple of extra footswitches are always useful, as I've been thinking of adding loop on/off functionality to our set up to allow longer intros etc.

The only thing that puts me off is that it looks as though set-up/editing is done via your phone. Hopefully there's also an option to to use a proper computer. Please let me know how you get on with this.

Sure will do. And yes it’s through an app (which I have downloaded and played with, it seems fine). I’m sure you’ll probably know better than me that there are apparently ways to run iOS apps in MacOS without the silicon chip (as I think you’ve got an older one like me). 

13 hours ago, ped said:

Sure will do. And yes it’s through an app (which I have downloaded and played with, it seems fine). I’m sure you’ll probably know better than me that there are apparently ways to run iOS apps in MacOS without the silicon chip (as I think you’ve got an older one like me). 

Running iOS on a non-M series Mac is a bit of a faff and doesn't always work reliably and then the Mac will still want to communicate with the device using Bluetooth because that's what a phone would do.

For me having to program a footswitch designed to be able to control a computer from a completely separate device seems completely unintuitive and a backward step.

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 17:52, BigRedX said:

So, it turns out that the Airstep cannot control my WAZA Air bass headphones, only the guitar version and basically anything else on the planet. As a result I’m selling mine if you’re interested in trying it. I’d use it for controlling my computer but it’s a bit wasted doing just that. It’s brand new, I got it for £150… I’ll post it in the marketplatz later.

IMG_6347.jpeg