Why become a member? ×

Bilbo's shorts

Bilbo

The other day, after having enjoyed the piece for many months, I went to transcribe the bass part to 'O Solitude', a beautiful Purcell composition performed by Branford Marsalis on his 'Braggtown' cd. After a focussed listen, however, I realised that the bass part was only three bars long but repeated 32 or so times. The piece is deeply moving and a profoundly emotional piece. No mindless, complex noodling, just pure melody. So, here it is, the shortest 'full' bass transcription ever!

In addition, I dug out an earlier transcription I did 85 years ago of the bass line to Weather Report's 'Mr. Gone' off the CD of the same name. This performance is just a four bar pattern repeating over and over (although I didn't count the time it repeats). Its a great way of enjoying playing along with Zawinuland Shorter without having to learn 'Havona' :)

[quote name='Eight' post='478516' date='May 3 2009, 08:48 PM']Is the Branford Marsalis version a kind of jazz rendition of it then?[/quote]

Not really but yes a bit :rolleyes: It has a piano and saxophone solo but they are very short and in keeping with the composition. For the record, it doesn't swing! :)

You can hear a tiny excerpt here

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braggtown-Branford-Marsalis/dp/B000GQLBQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1241380411&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braggtown-Branford...0411&sr=1-1[/url]