Why become a member? ×

drilling holes for tuners screws

umcoo

Hi all, I'm going to be drilling some holes in a new Warmoth neck shortly for the tuners and string tree. Anyone have any tips/advice on how to do it cleanly and so the tuners are all aligned prefectly?

I'm thinking using masking tape before I drill will help protect the finish, but any other advice?

Thanks!

[quote name='umcoo' post='478688' date='May 4 2009, 12:04 AM']What did you use to drill? I'm thinking as I need to drill 13 holes and no more in the near future, I might just pick up a hand drill or one of them fake dremel's.[/quote]

I just used a hand drill, but it has a spirit level/laser built in. But to be honest the screws arent that long, so eye-straight should be alright. Just hold the screw against the drill bit and use masking tape to mark off the depth (sorry if you already know this)

[quote name='WarPig' post='478698' date='May 4 2009, 12:08 AM']I just used a hand drill, but it has a spirit level/laser built in. But to be honest the screws arent that long, so eye-straight should be alright. Just hold the screw against the drill bit and use masking tape to mark off the depth (sorry if you already know this)[/quote]

Very helpful Warpig and Protium, many thanks

...And use a brad awl to start the hole before you use the drill. You can carefully line the brad awl up by eye and push it into the wood to start the hole - the drill bit can then be placed into that indent and it should stay there as you drill instead of moving the minute you start drilling !

My advice would be to mark the holes on masking tape, as already suggested then....

Find someone who owns a small drill press to drill the holes.
It's worth doing properly!!!

...and no risk of wonky screws.