Why become a member? ×

Honer Jack Electronic Repair

philw

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to fix the active electronics on my Wife's lovely old Honer Jack bass and I'm stuck, so I wonder if anybody can shed some light ('cause I believe I'm not the first to have tried to fix an active Jack). The active preamp is housed in a battery sized metal box that sits in a double sized battery compartment alongside the actual battery. As you'll see from the pic, there's clearly a 1k resistor with a broken lead-out and that's obviously part of the problem, but there's also a loose red wire from the positive connector of the battery that I suspect ought to make its way back into the battery box to be soldered somewhere on the preamp PCB, but I've no idea where - without it, the preamp has no power.

So if anybody here who has a Honer Jack would be willing to open it up and take a few pictures so I can se where that red wire is supposed to go, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Phil

IMG_2668.thumb.JPG.b2e9d69b8a410dda7f522b5f7e69785a.JPG

Edited by philw

• philw changed the title to Honer Jack Electronic Repair

Hi Phil,

Thanks so much for the pics, but yes, it was the battery box end I wanted - in particular, where does the red wire from the battery positive terminal go. If you look in my picture, the red wire from the battery terminal is disconnected.

Cheers

Phil

Yeah converting the bass to passive might be an option, but we’re actually planning on selling it so having it working properly is much the better option.

Do you still have the preamp you pulled out of your bass?

P

47 minutes ago, philw said:

Yeah converting the bass to passive might be an option, but we’re actually planning on selling it so having it working properly is much the better option.

Do you still have the preamp you pulled out of your bass?

P

I actually can’t remember what I did with the preamp.  I probably recycled it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/07/2023 at 15:34, philw said:

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to fix the active electronics on my Wife's lovely old Honer Jack bass and I'm stuck, so I wonder if anybody can shed some light ('cause I believe I'm not the first to have tried to fix an active Jack). The active preamp is housed in a battery sized metal box that sits in a double sized battery compartment alongside the actual battery. As you'll see from the pic, there's clearly a 1k resistor with a broken lead-out and that's obviously part of the problem, but there's also a loose red wire from the positive connector of the battery that I suspect ought to make its way back into the battery box to be soldered somewhere on the preamp PCB, but I've no idea where - without it, the preamp has no power.

So if anybody here who has a Honer Jack would be willing to open it up and take a few pictures so I can se where that red wire is supposed to go, I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

Are you still looking for info on this/fixed it/gone to Plan B?

Edited by sandy_r

On 11/07/2023 at 15:34, philw said:

Afternoon all,

Thanks

Phil

hi Phil

I think I've been able to identify the answers to your questions here: 

- where dd the broken 1k ohm resistior connect

- where did the red battery lead connect

Looking at photos of the same PCB used on several Hohner basses, including yours, I'vd circled the relevant connections in blue marker

1k resistor:

Hohner-Jack-PCB-1k-resistor.thumb.png.d49109c61a69f20a3d30a9264b3a6d6a.png

Red battery wire (connects with + of largest electrolytic cap - confirm correct edge in relation to other wire colours along that side) :

HohnerJack-red-battery-wire.thumb.png.9cdf6172badc807b09430cfc90627602.png

let me know if you need more detail. Good luck!

Edited by sandy_r