Why become a member? ×

New originals band. How to get support gigs

SteveXFR

We're a new metal band and we're ready to go out and play some gigs. We've got a solid 35 minute set, should be 45 minutes soon so support shows would best suit us for now. 

How do we go about getting gigs? None of us have ever been in a new originals band before. Do we need to be talking to bands, promotors or venues or all of them?

I have a feeling you've asked this before and I answered in another thread, but here goes.

For support gigs for originals bands you need to be talking to other bands and promoters. IME one of the easiest way to get a foot in the the door is to trade on your various band members past musical ventures. This has worked for me several times in the past when I've joined a new band and I have been able to use past contacts to get us gigs.

The other thing is to be flexible in your availability. Follow the bands you like and venues putting on your genre of music on whatever social media platform(s) they use, you never know when a last-minute gig slot will open up. I've also got some pretty good support gigs simply because the band were prepared to allow the headliners to use our drum shells and stands and/or backline cabs.

You will require dedication and perseverance and the ability to play a gig with maybe only 24 hours notice. Remember that every opportunity you have to turn down will get filled by another band who are more hungry than yours.

Finally if all else fails, become your own promotor. Hire a small venue, and put on someone better known as headliners and your own band as support. Do this once a month, endnote only do you get gigs, but you can also build up an impressive gigging "CV" to use with other bands and promotors.

• Thanks 1