Why become a member? ×

Resistance pot to emulate full on V+T pot?

I got a bass with a single P pickup wired directly to the output jack socket, but if I was to experiment with emulating the slight roll of high end and shift in the pickup's resonance point that a regular full on volume + tone pot configuration gives, say adding a 500kOhm pot, so the resistance can be adjusted to the effect that everything from a full on 250kOhm V+T to 1mOhm V+T would normally have on the tone, where would I add it?

Something tells me just across the hot and ground wire of the pickup, but then wouldn't that just make it act like a regular volume control?

How do I go about adding such an adjustable resistance, and also what kind of taper would I likely want it to be?

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

You could wire the pots as variable resistors across the output.

The volume pot would then give;

from 250K load (like standard vol pot) to 1M25 load - could use a zero load pot here

The tone pot would give;

from standard tone at 100% to basically nothing - could use a zero load pot here too.

PBass Load wiring 01A.png

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

What are you trying to do?

1. Emulate the sound of having no volume or tone controls when the V&T pots are on full? or,

2. Emulate the sound of having the volume and tone controls on full but with no actual controls?

2 (but with the resistance still being adjustable and with the option for still bypassing it)

And yes, I do realize the differences will be quite subtle, and that no one cares, but I do.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Unless you want a single switch option of having the sound of the V&T controls on full (from whatever position they are currently in) you can achieve this simply by having normal volume and tone controls and a switch that takes them completely out of the circuit and connects the "hot" lead from the pickup directly to the output jack. For this I'd use a DP switch and disconnect the V&T controls at both ends.