Why become a member? ×

Most compact 4x10 design

Pookus

I am putting together two 4x10 cabs each housing four 150w 8ohm speakers each cab will be 600w @ 8ohms and daisy chained to make 1200w @ 4ohms. I'm looking at the smallest possible cabinet dimensions and dont mind ports. Please help with ingenius ideas. Thanks.

does having essential two Schroeder style 2x12s not work? I've never seen it happen before, I'm taking it that its not a good idea? Incidentally I mean a 10 (in this case) with another on top and two at 45degrees behind those.

[quote name='Pookus' post='477719' date='May 2 2009, 02:31 PM']I am putting together two 4x10 cabs each housing four 150w 8ohm speakers each cab will be 600w @ 8ohms and daisy chained to make 1200w @ 4ohms. I'm looking at the smallest possible cabinet dimensions and dont mind ports. Please help with ingenius ideas. Thanks.[/quote]

What speakers are you using? Not all 10's are born equal, and some need a huge cab to work properly. Also, what sort of sound are you after? If it's a big dubby noise then you'll need big boxes or a sh!tload of watts, whereas a mid-biased grindy tone will come out of a much smaller cab.

A

[quote name='Alien' post='477745' date='May 2 2009, 03:30 PM']What speakers are you using? Not all 10's are born equal, and some need a huge cab to work properly. Also, what sort of sound are you after? If it's a big dubby noise then you'll need big boxes or a sh!tload of watts, whereas a mid-biased grindy tone will come out of a much smaller cab.

A[/quote]

The speakers are from my Ashdown 810. I have plenty of power (from the ABM EvoII 900). I play different stuff so something versatile.

[quote name='josh3184' post='477723' date='May 2 2009, 02:39 PM']does having essential two Schroeder style 2x12s not work? I've never seen it happen before, I'm taking it that its not a good idea? Incidentally I mean a 10 (in this case) with another on top and two at 45degrees behind those.[/quote]

I like the idea of the idea of this! Any professional views?

[quote name='josh3184' post='477723' date='May 2 2009, 02:39 PM']does having essential two Schroeder style 2x12s not work? I've never seen it happen before, I'm taking it that its not a good idea? Incidentally I mean a 10 (in this case) with another on top and two at 45degrees behind those.[/quote]

Do you mean the same as the Schroeder 410? :)

[url="http://www.schroedercabinets.com/410.htm"]http://www.schroedercabinets.com/410.htm[/url]

[quote name='Protium' post='477824' date='May 2 2009, 05:29 PM']Do you mean the same as the Schroeder 410? :)

[url="http://www.schroedercabinets.com/410.htm"]http://www.schroedercabinets.com/410.htm[/url][/quote]

that looks like an excellent solution. Are there drawings available?

I've pondered this for a while but I've yet to find a way of making a 4x10" that outperforms alternative designs. However as you already own all the drivers then there's some reasons for lateral thinking. The Schroeder/TechSoundsystems approach will work pretty well - you lose proper bottom but gain some upper bass and lower mids so it'll sound loud, only problem is the risk of excessive boom with the cheaper drivers from the Ashdown.

I've just kicked around some more weird and wonderful ideas, like using six drivers in an isobaric ported cab and two in a small sealed cab, to make a tiny 8x10" but the efficiency cost is too great.

I would suggest though that you'd probably end up with a better result and similar cost by selling the 8x10" and designing a cab from scratch, instead of trying to work with your existing drivers which really aren't all that great (but are quite valuable when inside a branded finished cab!)

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='477866' date='May 2 2009, 06:11 PM']I've pondered this for a while but I've yet to find a way of making a 4x10" that outperforms alternative designs. However as you already own all the drivers then there's some reasons for lateral thinking. The Schroeder/TechSoundsystems approach will work pretty well - you lose proper bottom but gain some upper bass and lower mids so it'll sound loud, only problem is the risk of excessive boom with the cheaper drivers from the Ashdown.

I've just kicked around some more weird and wonderful ideas, like using six drivers in an isobaric ported cab and two in a small sealed cab, to make a tiny 8x10" but the efficiency cost is too great.

I would suggest though that you'd probably end up with a better result and similar cost by selling the 8x10" and designing a cab from scratch, instead of trying to work with your existing drivers which really aren't all that great (but are quite valuable when inside a branded finished cab!)

Alex[/quote]

I'm going ahead with the project using the Ashdown drivers. I'm keeping the 810 cab so it can all be put back together agian if needed. I can also buy some quality 10" drivers at a later date and switch them around.

[quote name='Pookus' post='477881' date='May 2 2009, 06:25 PM']I'm going ahead with the project using the Ashdown drivers. I'm keeping the 810 cab so it can all be put back together agian if needed. I can also buy some quality 10" drivers at a later date and switch them around.[/quote]

Just bear in mind that it's rarely that easy to swap drivers - the bolt circle diameter and bolt spacing vary quite a lot even between bass guitar oriented 10"s!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='477923' date='May 2 2009, 07:18 PM']Just bear in mind that it's rarely that easy to swap drivers - the bolt circle diameter and bolt spacing vary quite a lot even between bass guitar oriented 10"s!

Alex[/quote]

Good useful info there Alex. I will make the front panels where the drivers mount removable so I can make new ones if necessary (or just fill the holes and drill new ones). I just love BC! Saves loads of heartache and hassle. :)