Why become a member? ×

P bass query. ?

dmccombe7

Used my Vintera P bass at the punk gig on Sunday and really enjoyed the tone but what i was finding was that around the 5th - 7th fret upwards it appeared to be a fair bit louder and when i dropped down to 2nd fret on same string i could hardly hear the bass. I thought it was just where i was standing but on hearing a few mobile vids i notice the same on them.

My own thoughts are :-

1. it was a slightly raised wooden stage (approx 6" high) and i did experience boom on some notes. Normally i take my gramma pad but forgot it.

2. i had the P bass volume down around 75-80% to let me adjust for vol when tone is changed. Previous gigs i had it full up and didn't notice any volume changes on neck.

3. am i just imagining this ?

4. could incorrect pick up height cause this kind of issue. ?

Any  other suggestions welcome. 

I will try again at next gig to see what happens and use my Gramma.

I've used other basses at this venue and they seemed ok

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

The unfretted strings tend to be higher off the fretboard as you go further up the neck, and fretting them then moves them closer to the pickup. This will be more noticeable if you are playing with quite a high action.

• Like 2

String height is just above 2mm maybe 2.2mm. I tend to aim for 2mm but couldn't quite get away with 2mm with this particular bass without getting fretwork done.

With string height being pretty much same as most of my other basses and i've never really noticed a volume drop with any other bass.

I'm leaning more towards stage boom causing a perceived volume change.

I had no boom when playing lower on the neck but once i got up towards 5th i could hear it creeping in most notable on the A string 7th fret E.

I used this same bass at a rehearsal couple of weeks ago and it seemed ok then.

I have changed the bridge from standard to Fender hi-mass type but wouldn't expect that to change volume.

Dave

20 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

String height is just above 2mm maybe 2.2mm. I tend to aim for 2mm but couldn't quite get away with 2mm with this particular bass without getting fretwork done.

With string height being pretty much same as most of my other basses and i've never really noticed a volume drop with any other bass.

I'm leaning more towards stage boom causing a perceived volume change.

I had no boom when playing lower on the neck but once i got up towards 5th i could hear it creeping in most notable on the A string 7th fret E.

I used this same bass at a rehearsal couple of weeks ago and it seemed ok then.

I have changed the bridge from standard to Fender hi-mass type but wouldn't expect that to change volume.

Dave

Finger style or pick ? 

I find on a PBass fingerstyle it’s easy to lose the clarity of the low E string and A string on certain notes / frequencies. More so when the band is playing loud ! 
I think in my case it’s an overlap of frequencies with drums and guitar 

• Thanks 1

I play fingerstyle but my fingernails are long enough to catch the strings when i want to get more of an edge.

It may well be the environment and just not sued to the lower frequencies from a P bass.

I'll try again a week on Sat at a birthday party gig see how i get on with it. If its the same thing with the gramma pad being used i'll maybe just can the P bass and stick with my J basses.

Dave 

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I play fingerstyle but my fingernails are long enough to catch the strings when i want to get more of an edge.

It may well be the environment and just not sued to the lower frequencies from a P bass.

I'll try again a week on Sat at a birthday party gig see how i get on with it. If its the same thing with the gramma pad being used i'll maybe just can the P bass and stick with my J basses.

Dave 

I’m the reverse .. finding it hard to use my Jazz bass when I have two decent PBass to choose from 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

I’m the reverse .. finding it hard to use my Jazz bass when I have two decent PBass to choose from 

I bought a Vintera P bass to see how i got on with it and mainly for a punk covers band i'm in but its taken me a bit longer than expected to get used to the neck. I do like that deep warm tone that a P bass has. I've never managed to get that from any other bass.

Maybe i need to try a better quality P bass.

I have considered getting a Sandberg passive P bass and replace the pick ups with something that would give me that classic P bass tone. That's an option as i do like my Sandberg basses. Both necks are so easy to play.

Have considered a Limelight bass too, in fact i came across my white Sandberg VM4 there and bought that instead. :laugh1:

Dave

I even tried various Pick Up upgrades on my PBass as I wanted just a little more clarity. 
Best was the Fender Original 62 and to be honest it was a minor improvement on the stock pups 

I find using the Ampeg SGT-DI before my amp allows for extra EQ adjustments that is fitting very well with my PBass tone 

Just got to like the Jazz in a similar way .. I’m getting close and like both in different ways but both have great sounds that just work well in a band mix 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

I even tried various Pick Up upgrades on my PBass as I wanted just a little more clarity. 
Best was the Fender Original 62 and to be honest it was a minor improvement on the stock pups 

I find using the Ampeg SGT-DI before my amp allows for extra EQ adjustments that is fitting very well with my PBass tone 

Just got to like the Jazz in a similar way .. I’m getting close and like both in different ways but both have great sounds that just work well in a band mix 

Its possible i'm just so used to having note clarity from jazz style basses that my ears haven't adapted to the P bass tone yet.

I'll not give up tho. Got another gig week on Sat with the P bass again. I'll try it again on the first set and if its ok i'll keep it on 2nd set too. If not my MarloweDK will be taking over again as main punk bass.

Dave

Make sure Tone control is full on and all amp EQ flat to start

Jazz with both pickups is Mid-Scooped so don't adjust tone as you would Jazz. With P be careful with Lo-Mid 250 to 500Hz may need slight cut

This is were environment and speaker can cause mud/honk and loss of clarity

P Bass is strong in Mids Jazz more scooped. In Gensral not a Law😊

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Nebadon2000 said:

Make sure Tone control is full on and all amp EQ flat to start

Jazz with both pickups is Mid-Scooped so don't adjust tone as you would Jazz. With P be careful with Lo-Mid 250 to 500Hz may need slight cut

This is were environment and speaker can cause mud/honk and loss of clarity

P Bass is strong in Mids Jazz more scooped. In Gensral not a Law😊

thanks for that. I'll check my settings on Sat when i get the amp out for a different band gig. 

Its a good point as i usually just set my amp and leave it no matter what bass i use and get a tone from the bass. My amp is usually flat or just a slight boost or cut of something as and when needed.

I remember WoT mentioning that with his P basses and Handbox WB-100 he now ramps the mids up to 2 o'clock but that's more to do with the characteristics of the amp but i'll maybe try his settings see how it goes.

Cheers for advice @Nebadon2000

Dave

• Like 1

I'll try anything to be honest.

Hoping its  just been a  frequency boom issue.

It was a  hollow wooden stage in a small pub and i forgot my gramma pad so its possible that's been the issue but will see how it goes next gig. Its a private birthday party at a friends very large house with its own function room. We are setting up on the Fri evening for the Sat night so that will give me a chance to try things out a bit.

Dave

I actually found my Jazz has a lower bass tone with better high mids ( using neck pup and bridge turned down. 

PBass is heavy in the low mids 200-400hz but lacking in high mids or that’s my discovery using roundwounds 

Naturally some of this changes if pick playing but this is based on fingerstyle 

• Thanks 1