Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard qs

ped

11 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Another option, make a "shoe" out of thermoplastic so your pedal has a flat bottom.

I am not familiar with your fancy schmamcy pedalboard system but if the feet are getting in the way.....

You buy it as little beads and heat it to 50° in water. It turns soft and sticks to itself. You squeeze out the water and hey presto a hot blob of anything you can imagine. It doesn't stick to parchment paper which is just a fancy word for baking paper.

I am imagining something more like a "sandal" for your pedal. Connected corner blocks and continuous thin base.

Thanks yeah I did think about making something like a board of acrylic with holes for the feet of the pedals which could work quite well. Let's see if Temple Audio reply first. 

• 3 weeks later...

Temple audio have been quite helpful. They said the bolts are M4 so I could just get some of my own and put them through a washer. Ideally the mounting plate needs to sit flush as there are some ears which lock the plate in place to stop it rotating but that wouldn’t be an issue if I either do it up tight or use two plates on bigger pedals. So I might go for it. 

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven’t made mine yet but I’m thinking this might be what I want. The board is a Rockboard Tres 3.2 which appears to be just the right size. I think I’m just going to have to use Velcro - the feet come off all the pedals except the Mutron but I can always glue them back on if I want to. 

As long as the power supply for the Mutron fits underneath (it’s a mains plug, so guess I’ll need to work out how best to do that alongside a Cioks DC5 - ideas in a postcard! 

The pedals shown aren’t necessarily exact because they don’t have them all on pedal playground, but in order they’ll be:

Valco KGB Fuzz

Valco KGB Loop (plus into tuner via line out)

EHX Russian Bassballs

Musitronics Mutron III in (Valco loop)

MXR M87 comp

That means the bypass on the mutron isn’t an issue and I can ‘guest’ other pedals when the mood takes me.

Should be good I think - the pedals are very close but they’re all massive so it’s not awkward to press them at all. 

Anything obviously wrong here?

Red is signal path, all the pedals in that are true bypass or decent buffered - amazingly the Bassballs is fine. 

Yellow to tuner

Green is Mutron in loop. 

Quite often I won’t need the comp so I can go straight out of any of the other pedals in the red chain as access to jacks is easy (either top jacks or on back of pedal)

IMG_6449.jpeg

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

How deep are the mutron feet? 

About 9mm. The others are about the same (but they're screwed on). The Mutron also has a battery door latch which avoids fouling the deck by virtue of said feet; however the door is removable so I can always put that to one side and cover the hole with something flat.

It looks as though the elevated front of the Rockboard won't be high enough to fit the Mutron supply and a plug, so I could get taller feet or if it comes to it just use the Mutron with batteries - they last ages contrary to popular belief, and the pedal can be switched off with the jacks still in it for when it's not being used, so that'll do for the time being...

A trick @jimbobothy showed me is that dual lock is about 6mm thick - so you can run your cables under the pedals - in your case it might help you not have to remove battery covers etc - you don’t need much of it, my 125b pedals use 4 1cmx1cm squares and it’s more than enough. 
for the mutron you might need to double up but you could maybe do three small strips, one either side and one at the bottom to avoid taking anything off or fowling the stickers… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah thanks that should be ok I think. Should be ok then - the pedals next to each other including the flat cable for the comp measure the exact width of the board. 

But!

Height!

It appears that because I’ve got pedals up to 8cm high that the board (even without extra tall feet to accommodate mutron supply) won’t fit in the hardcase, so I’d have to buy it without and find another case! 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys here we go. It’s nearly ready - just waiting for one more flex cable for the power supply. I’ve managed to avoid using the big wall wart for the mutron because Cioks told me it’ll work with two of their 9v battery snaps. 

Pretty pleased with it - I’ll just get the last couple of bits then get the cable ties out!

The patch bay is useful; I’ve got the input, output from the comp and a tuner out from the Valco which is a master bypass. Also I’ve got an emergency 9v battery lined up to the barrel jack so I can power an extra pedal if I need to, off my board.

I no longer need the splitter power cable that takes the IEC into the Cioks but it might be useful having a spare IEC under the board.

Bonus - it fits in the gig bag (just, the height is a smidge too much but the bag has some ‘give’.

When it’s 100% finished I’ll post it in the ‘show us yer pedalboard’ thread😀 

Thanks for the help

IMG_6509.jpeg

IMG_6508.jpeg

IMG_6507.jpeg

• Like 3