Why become a member? ×

Trace combo head in a case

fleabag

I've done this a couple of times with varying degrees of success. First one that worked well was a customised Series 6 GP12 combo head with an uprated 500VA transformer and it was seriously mad loud. The box was made from 15mm MDF, screwed and glued. MDF has good points and bad points but is relatively easy to sand and round of the corners without the need for a router etc. Screw holes need properly drilled as its easy to split 15 mm mdf. This was the end result.

IMG_0709.thumb.jpeg.900d132ee4fd371baed68263cb593c50.jpeg

I also built a box for an SMC head out of recyled 18mm structural grade plywood that once was the main recording room console desk of local studio. 18mm ply is probably a bit over kill for an amp box and if its not high quality ply, you can end up sanding down edges with voids appearing everywhere. That causes no end of splinters and its very difficult to get a good finish. If your happy with everything square edged and don't intend to fit nice curved corners then 18mm square box construction will serve you well in the heavy duty indestructable department. Heres a photo of the rough box I made with pre-drilled contersunk holes for mounting a TE big chassis head. Its a very basic box, glued and screwed but tough as nails.

IMG_1907.thumb.jpeg.e3dbfbd217b657380adfe674750e6567.jpeg

• Like 3

Marvellous !

12mm may well be strong enough if it's hardwood ply

One thing i kept saying earlier, was that i wasnt going to use vinyl or any covering because of getting the amp back in the combo, but it's not the amp that'll be covered, it's the DIY sleeve !  What a muppet  :)

Edited by fleabag