Why become a member? ×

FS/FT: '62 Re-issue P-Bass *£1750*
£2030
Guildford, UK

lamp

Hi all,

I have here a bass that I've come on and off the fence a few times about selling - but I've come to the reluctant conclusion that I just have too many P-Basses (sacrilege, I know!).

Details:

- Year: Unclear, likely 1987 (see thread below!) - assembled by Scott Buehl, later a Master Builder in the Custom Shop

- Manufacturer: Fender (USA)

- Model: 1962 Re-Issue Precision Bass

- Other: All original save pickguard, nut and strap-pins

- Shipping: within UK only. Local pickup, or meetup within 40 mins of Guildford, UK

Plays and sounds fantastic. Finish is fairly worn. A little bit of choke-off on the A string past 16th fret, which is primarily down to how I have it set up (quite low action) - lots of life left in the frets, but could use a leveling in time. Comes with an aftermarket hardshell case, which is in ok condition (does have a crack), but still very robust.

I'm open to trades and part-trades, but ultimately, looking to sell to fund buying a Musicman Sabre. Any questions at all, by all means please feel free to DM :)

I'll soon be listing a CIJ Fender Geddy Lee and (possibly) a Musicman Stingray 3EQ also - happy to talk about those in context of any wider deal ref. trades as well.

Cheers,

Nick 

EC0DB46C-9C6E-4F19-ACE1-9D5046E72E2C.jpg

IMG_0639.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0634.jpeg

Edited by lamp
  • Like 14

It doesn't come across brilliantly in my poorly taken photos, but the CAR has aged really nicely. It's darker on the cutaway, almost makes it look 'bursty'. I'll try to take a better shot to capture that.

Hi I was reading about these recently. And I thought the fullerton reissues had serial numbers up to v016000???

And the fender decal is in the wrong area. For the fullerton reissues. The fender decal has the placement past the string button. 

Apologies if I'm wrong. But I believe this is a later Corona vintage reissue. 

You can only date these by removing the neck. 

• Like 3

I’m going on what the retailer verified upon selling to me from their Denmark Street shop - possible a mixture of parts across years perhaps. I can pop the neck off and take a look, but would only do so if someone is seriously interested. Cheers! 

Edited by lamp

Fair enough - I appreciate the research guys - as I said, going on what the shop told me at sale (I might have a word with them!!) 

I’ll take a look at the neck stamp when I have a chance - cheers 

• lamp changed the title to FS/FT: '62 Re-issue P-Bass

Curiosity got the better of me 😄 - no clearer to me from popping the neck off, anyone with deeper knowledge able to demystify this one? One cool bonus: "S Buehl" is/was a Master Builder.

Searching the serial online reveals everything from 1980, to custom shop, to 82 or 88 onwards.

IMG_2788.jpeg

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg

Edited by lamp

1 minute ago, lamp said:

Curiosity got the better of me 😄 - no clearer to me from popping the neck off, anyone with deeper knowledge able to demystify this one?

Searching the serial online reveals everything from 1980, to custom shop, to 82 or 88 onwards.

IMG_2788.jpeg

IMG_2789.jpeg

IMG_2790.jpeg

You can't search for these serials. I've had a look on the talk bass forum. Which have a bit of detail on these.

But the serial is not fullerton reissues. As they ended V016 yours being v029 puts it way out.

And the pics on the headstock there confirms the neck is not a fullerton reissue as the decal and the end of the fingerboard is wrong. 

Corona made a 62 reissue vintage series. Which I believe this is. 

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/fullerton-era-fender-precision-jazz-reissue-info-and-photos.894321/

I agree - had amended the title of the thread prior to even popping the neck off, as I don't want to mis-sell anything - also had a look around whilst googling the serial and came to same conclusion: not reliable enough to date.  I'm going to contact the retailer - unlikely, but they may have a bit more info on how they dated it, even if incorrectly.

Nevertheless, what we do appear have here is a great (apparently) Corona '62 RI, and seems, assembled by a top builder. And still for sale :)

Thx for the researching - better to know than not!

Edited by lamp
  • Like 3

Just now, lamp said:

I agree - had amended the title of the thread prior to even popping the neck off, as I don't want to mis-sell anything - also had a look around whilst googling the serial and came to same conclusion: not reliable enough to date.  I'm going to contact Wunjo (I know they remember the bass, as they mention it every time I go in!), they may have a bit more info on how they dated it, even if incorrectly.

Nevertheless, what we do appear have here is a great (apparently) Corona '62 RI, and seems, assembled by a top builder. And still for sale :)

Thx for the researching - better to know than not!

It's still a fantastic bass! And I love the patina. It has the look.

Which is why I looked at it so closely.

• Like 1

Honestly, whilst its a bit frustrating to find out I was mis-sold in the first place (wonder if I have any recourse 5 years on?), I massively appreciate the fact that there are members here knowledgeable enough to figure things like that out. Uncertain as to whether I re-price at this stage, given I paid £2k five years ago, but open to any sensible offers. Remains a fantastic playing and sounding bass.

1 minute ago, lamp said:

Honestly, whilst its a bit frustrating to find out I was mis-sold in the first place (wonder if I have any recourse 5 years on?), I massively appreciate the fact that there are members here knowledgeable enough to figure things like that out. Uncertain as to whether I re-price at this stage, given I paid £2k five years ago, but open to any sensible offers. Remains a fantastic playing and sounding bass.

I have found this bass from 2017 on I believe a US auction site

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/musical-instruments/bass-guitars/1980-fender-precision-bass-candy-apple-red-electric-bass-guitar-serial-v029065/a/7168-85095.s

Description is as you bought it. So I think the wrong info was passed down and no one noticed. 

Yup - I found exactly the same a few mins ago myself! :)

I find it odd the shop wouldn't have verified it themselves. I've pinged them an email asking if any recollection how they dated it, or if they did (I doubt they'll remember, to be fair - but worth a try).

Edited by lamp

16 minutes ago, lamp said:

Yup - I found exactly the same a few mins ago myself! :)

I find it odd the shop wouldn't have verified it themselves. I've pinged them an email asking if any recollection how they dated it, or if they did (I doubt they'll remember, to be fair - but worth a try).

Sent you a pm with possible date. See what you think. 

• Like 1

Cheers - responded and agree with your conclusion! For some reason, can't amend the price in the topic - but for info: £1800 looks to be market value

Edited by lamp

• lamp changed the title to FS/FT: '62 Re-issue P-Bass *£1750*