Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP12 SMX combo

RobSh

Afternoon all, I have the above combo gathering dust and I would rather see if I could fix it than chuck it, there's power, but no sound, I am going to check for fuses, dust and reattach the fan, but I can't figure out how to open it, the front screws only take off the front panel, and I can see no other access, could anyone point me in the right direction?

Most combos of that era have the amp section secured from the top by four bolts under plastic plugs which can be eased off with a small screwdriver. There are a few versions which are secured from both sides of the box. Photos would be helpful🙂

• Like 1

As has been posted,  there should be 4 plastic caps on each corner when looking down on the top of the combo

There's 4 Philips screws under the caps.  Just take these out, dont forget to unplug the speaker jack at the rear, then slide the amp out.

Once you're in there,  check the connections between the various sections inside (they're modular for ease of replacement/ manufacturing various models)

They're wired together with push-fit spade connectors,  so over time and being bounced around,  these work loose

The culprit in my SMX was the signal lead from preamp to power stage.