Why become a member? ×

Adding additional cab

Craigster

Bill's right to point out that many (most) bass cabs cannot make use of their thermal power rating because they exceed xmax well before that point. However, I think he's being a bit pessimistic about the xmax limits of premium drivers.  Eminence publish info on the displacement capability of the KL3010LF, which shows that xmax remains below the driver's rated power of 450 watts from 40Hz up. If it could handle the power, it could take 600W before reaching the xmax limit.

Not the whole story, of course.

(By the way, the displacement graph is a bit odd because the curve should continue to rise below 40Hz.)

3010lf.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevie said:

(By the way, the displacement graph is a bit odd because the curve should continue to rise below 40Hz.)

While not having the eminence of many on here, I have modelled enough drivers, including the KL3010LF, to know that there is a serious amount of High Pass Filtering applied on that eminence graph.

You're both right. 😄 I posted the graph for a highpassed cab. Here's the one I meant to post, which Eminence have modelled with 400 watts. It's comfortable with that power from 45Hz up. Tune the box a bit lower and it will just about make 600 watts at 40Hz (but would certainly benefit from highpassing at that frequency). It's also worth bearing in mind that bass guitar isn't the same at test tones.

30102.jpg

Edited by stevie

33 minutes ago, stevie said:

You're both right. 😄 I posted the graph for a highpassed cab. Here's the one I meant to post, which Eminence have modelled with 400 watts. It's comfortable with that power from 45Hz up. Tune the box a bit lower and it will just about make 600 watts at 40Hz (but would certainly benefit from highpassing at that frequency). It's also worth bearing in mind that bass guitar isn't the same at test tones.

30102.jpg

That is what I was expecting.