Why become a member? ×

Any music shops (good for basses) in Newcastle?

ossyrocks

I’ll be spending a couple of days in Newcastle later this week. My wife and step daughter are on a course at the puppet festival, and I’ll have time to kill in the day. At the risk of upsetting my wallet, is there anywhere good in town for me to browse? 
Thanks,

Rob

9 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

I've always liked JG Windows where I bought my first Squier back in '88. I still pop in when touring and the selection seemed reasonable. It's in the undercover arcade near the monument but google it. 

Cheers. That’s only 12 minutes walk from where we’re staying according to google.

• Like 1

There's a couple of shops in the centre (from memory). I'm from Swindon area but used to regularly go to the North East as a kid because my Mum was a Geordie. Prices were cheaper up there, hence that Squier being bought at Windows. It has a longstanding reputation; lots of celebrities have bought from there. In my day the basses / guitars were in the basement but now they are upstairs. The ground floor is records now. I believe from walking around between soundchecks / shows there is a Guitar Guitar and a PMT that are within wandering distance. I don't know what the selection is like there as they were shut when I went recently. I love the city and always find people to be really friendly. 

• Like 1

Was going to suggest Old Greys Yard guitars, but see they have shut up shop. Get a day ticket on the Tyneside Metro and check out Hound-dog Guitars in Whitley Bay. Coming back on the clock-wise direction there's various Cash Converters/ Generators in the Wallsend and Byker areas. Don't know if Curvy Sounds in Heaton Hall Rd. might have what you're looking for.

Roger 

• Like 1

I’ve done “the tour” today.

JG Windows, huge shop in a beautiful Victorian arcade. Loads of staff, hardly any punters. I don’t know how shops like this survive these days, but I’m glad they do. Probably only 5 Fenders, the best being the American Professional series.  No amps at all and only one cheap acoustic bass. I did have a little play on a Boss Dual Cube thingy, but it felt like a toy more than anything else. The built in drum machine was interesting for about 10 minutes, but it’s very limited. My Rumble 15 sounds way better for practice.

Then onto GuitarGuitar. A much better selection of basses from Squiers, CV’s, Players, Vinteras, Am Prof and one Custom Shop. Also had a couple of nice looking Laklands. There were a few Aguilar TH heads just sitting on the floor, not wired up to use. My mouth did fall open when I checked the price on the CS Precison……..£4999 !! Is that what they are now? In the last 14 months I’ve bought a ‘73 P and a ‘78/79 P, both excellent, which add up to exactly the same money as this one CS bass. 

Lastly, PMT. limited selection here too, maybe six Fenders, Am Prof being the best. No acoustic basses and very few amps, none of which I would consider worth looking at. Stayed about 10 minutes and that was pushing it. 

So, it does seem they’re all geared up for selling electric six strings and guitar amps, but very few basses.

At least I’m going home with a new cab, but that was from a member here to whom I detoured on the way. 

Thanks for the info though chaps, Newcastle is a nice place to visit, lots to see and do, great places to eat, and the Spoons is very cheap for drinkies. Even saw that red headed geordie lass off Gogglebox coming out of Spoons.

Rob

Edited by ossyrocks