Why become a member? ×

Chic Dance Dance Dance, octave speed

iconic

Heard this today in Norwich town centre, The High Points were busking outside Primani as usual and had a guest bassist and wow he was fantastic.....although the usual one is excellent too. 

The video is just something I found on YouTube with finger playing.....I'm fairly sure Bernard used his chucking technique....I've no hope with that, so fingers it is. 

Got home and thought I'll have a go at that.....but the single note then double note octave is sooooo tough for me speedwise and my muscle memory is 'tuned' to simple octave low to high riffs. 

Any advice on how to nail it?

Edited by iconic

• 5 weeks later...
On 03/04/2023 at 20:47, iconic said:

Any advice on how to nail it?

I think the guy in the clip is using 3 finger plucking. Which just takes good old fashioned practice...🙂

I think this is the only way to play this finger style. Others may disagree, but it's the only way I can do it. "Everybody Dance" is (a bit) easier - you could try starting with that?

Unfortunately, it'll never look as cool as chucking 😃

Edited by Johncee

18 hours ago, Johncee said:

I think the guy in the clip is using 3 finger plucking. Which just takes good old fashioned practice...🙂

I think this is the only way to play this finger style. Others may disagree, but it's the only way I can do it. "Everybody Dance" is (a bit) easier - you could try starting with that?

Unfortunately, it'll never look as cool as chucking 😃

Many thanks for your help 😎

On 03/04/2023 at 21:33, itu said:

Slowly.

You can also try Rod Stewart's Da ya think I'm sexy. Bassist (whose name I forget) has very good feel.

I believe it was Phil Chen on bass. Fantastic player.

• Thanks 2