Why become a member? ×

Would this work? Just a hypothetical at this point.

Vin Venal

Thinking about selling my Darkglass Microtubes 900 head, and replacing it with an Ampeg SGT DI and a Behringer NX1000 power amp. My cab would remain the same - a Darkglass neo 112.

I've asked elsewhere, but get varying responses with some people saying the pedal wouldn't be able to drive the power amp, but surely the pedal is no different to the front end in my Darkglass head?

The idea is for gigs and practice I would try to just take my pedalboard and either go direct or into the effects in of backline, or the front end if I like the clean sound of the amp.

The power amp and cab would mostly be for home and situations where there isn't a PA or an amp I can use. The Darkglass cab is pretty bright esp with the tweeter all the way up, so I reckon I could even run the cab sim on the pedal into it so my sound won't be too different between the cab and DI/Phones.

What do you think? Will I be sacrificing anything tone wise? Aside from preferences between the DG and Ampeg preamp/distortion obv.

Thanks in advance.

The potential problem is that pre amp outputs and PA power amp inputs aren't properly standardised. Some power amp inputs need 1.5V or more to drive them and may need a balanced XLR input. Fortunately the Behringer needs a 0dbV input of 0.775V and has a combi socket so you can use a Jack or an XLR.

Pre amps vary hugely the output can be microphone level of a few mV, a few 1/10ths of a volt which is what the fx circuit in an amp usually needs or several volts. Line level is usually 0db or just above, it should be standard. The other factor is your bass, if it has a low output you'll need more gain in the pre-amp.

You'll need to check yourself what the output of your pre-amp will be, anything above 0.775V will be fine.

I wonder why you are going for the Ampeg rather than a multi effects modelling pedal which would achieve the same but give you much more than just the Ampeg sound.

• Like 2