Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass pickup upgrade.

evan47

Just looking for suggestions for upgrading the pickups in a Fender player series Jazz Bass, 2022 model.

I play finger style, I never use a plectrum as I can't hold one for long due to an arthritic thumb on my right hand.

I would like something with a nice bumpy mid range tight lows and crisp, but not harsh highs.

I may consider actives but not too important as I use a MXR m81 preamp pedal for tweaking.

I have been looking at Seymour Duncan and Bartolini but not too sure on which models to get.

I tend to play Jazzy/funky stuff and occasional forays in to rock (not metal).

I have barts in all my custom built basses,  but in my MIA jazz i have SD antiquity IIs. I out them in a long time ago and have never regretted them.

I love the bart sound, but i dont like the no pole pieces look on most traditional basses.

• 8 months later...

In a moment of madness I opted for the Fender gen 4 noiseless set. 

I will have these plus a John East J-Tone preamp fitted to my Jazz Bass early in the new year.

Thinking of putting the USA electrics into my MIM player series (as it is a recent model they should fit).

• 1 month later...

The Jazz Bass has now been fitted with the Gen 4  noiseless pickups plus a John East J-Tone pre amp set up for vol/balance/treble boost and cut plus bass boost and cut. 

This upgrade has made a great bass even better.

The palette of available, easy to dial in tones is wonderful. ..... every one of them screams Jazz Bass but in so many different ways.

Edited by evan47