Why become a member? ×

Dr J Sparrow bass driver/DI

Pow_22

So I'm a big fan of tube tone and for home use i have an Ashdown LB30 going into a Ampeg 212AV - very moveable and great sound.  However, through sheer laziness I've recently been using the in house old Peavey 1x15 combo at our rehearsal space and whilst it sounds ok its not amazing.  I've also never been a pedal kinda guy, just plug my P's straight into the amp and away i go - generally looking for a slight breakup to the notes without full on distortion.

On my daily browse of Richtones second hand site i saw the Dr Sparrow bass driver for not much £ and thought 'maybe i can make that old peavey sound a bit more....er....valvey'  So anyway, its now on its way to me.

Anyone else here use these cheap seemingly VT Bass clones?  Anyone getting that "Ampeg SVT on the verge of breakup" type tone or am i expecting way too much?

It's not a Tech 21 VT Bass clone, it's a Tech 21 Bass Driver clone, including the huge mid scoop that pedal is (in)famous for that can't really be dialed out since there is no mid control and the center frequency of the treble and bass controls are located such that the "boost" of mids that cutting those and turning up the level instead otherwise would effectively result in doesn't match with where the center of the huge scoop is (just about 800Hz, which is exactly around the frequency that helps with adding snap to and improving definition/articulation of your tone).

Though if you are one of those strange people who prefer the mids of your tone scooped out you might actually like it.

In my opinion you would have been better off spending a bit more and getting something like the One Control Silver Peg.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

9 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Yeah, I had one but moved it on. It went from nothing to very overdriven but I couldn’t get many usable noises from it even with the Harmonics dial. 

Well the Harmonics dial is really just what is usually called a Presence control, that is a boost/cut of the upper most frequency spectrum.

You would have thought being able to dial in some mids would have been a more useful feature on a bass preamp pedal (hint: it would totally had been just that).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1