Why become a member? ×

Barefaced One10 vs Two10

RikiB

37 minutes ago, DGBass said:

Its quite interesting to hear everyones take on the One10 and whether one can cut it or two is the best option. I was in a similar situation when I bought my first One10 as the OP. For home rehearsal its a great option. However even at light band rehersals I found a single One10 never quite lived up to BF's claim for me at least. My main cab at the time was a decent 1x15 ( a Mesa Diesel TL606 EV 1x15 cab.) Using the One10 as a stage monitor pointing directly at me and used in conjuction with the Mesa it couldn't be heard at all over the output from the Mesa. I added a second One 10 eventually thinking that would be a better match and it did improve the situation but both cabs together still couldn't match the vast low end output from a single Mesa 1x15 cab. In hindsight, I should have ordered one BF 2x10 cab from the outset as it would have been eminently more useable as a home use / light rehersal small gig cab and less expensive than a pair of One10's and only one cab to move around. The only benefit at the end of day with the One10 for me was the small lightweight formfactor and its lovely warm tone at low to med volumes as long as low frequencies were backed off on the EQ. If the OP is used to a 6x10, then a BF 2x10 would probably be a more useable option than going down the smaller two cab route.

Completely fair, that. I've never aimed for massive low end output, as in the rehearsal room I find it just hides stuff and on stage it's usually unhelpful when trying to manage feedback; much better left for the PA to deliver from the other side of the mics. I'm sure I'd feel quite differently if the genre I played demanded it, or if I was frequently playing much larger stages, outdoors, or was needing to provide all the bass that was being heard. At that point, I'd be pulling the Super 12 and Midget stack out of storage! But yeah, it's absolutely worth noting, because it doubtless affects my opinion of these cabs.

Another difference between a Two10 and a pair of One10s is that one driver on the Two10 is full range, whilst the other goes through a low pass filter, which helps with the dispersion of the higher frequencies. A pair of One10s will both be full range, so dispersion won't be quite as good.

From the BF website:

Barefaced line array

Both drivers in the Two10 work in unison to produce big bass and punchy mids but to improve dispersion only one has treble output - just like a PA line array.

It might seem counter-intuitive but the dispersion of a wave source is inversely proportion to the size of the source vs the wavelength - so side by side 10" drivers can have good dispersion through the lows and lower mids but once you get into the higher mids and treble the lateral dispersion narrows drastically. By only letting higher mids and treble come from one speakers we get much better dispersion through those frequencies so you have more consistent tone around the stage and venue.

• Like 3

Wow,just had first gig with the Six10.

punchy,clear,loud.

I had my GK legacy 800 head volume at about 9 o’clock and was asked to turn down 😬😂.

Turned it down to 8:45 😁.

yeah I think I’m gonna just keep an eye out for Two10 for home playing and rehearsals.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

Another difference between a Two10 and a pair of One10s is that one driver on the Two10 is full range, whilst the other goes through a low pass filter, which helps with the dispersion of the higher frequencies. A pair of One10s will both be full range, so dispersion won't be quite as good.

From the BF website:

Barefaced line array

Both drivers in the Two10 work in unison to produce big bass and punchy mids but to improve dispersion only one has treble output - just like a PA line array.

It might seem counter-intuitive but the dispersion of a wave source is inversely proportion to the size of the source vs the wavelength - so side by side 10" drivers can have good dispersion through the lows and lower mids but once you get into the higher mids and treble the lateral dispersion narrows drastically. By only letting higher mids and treble come from one speakers we get much better dispersion through those frequencies so you have more consistent tone around the stage and venue.

that does depend on the orientation though.

Having 1 cone LPF’d helps massively with horizontal dispersion when the cab is used Landscape/horizontal.

Doesnt really matter at all when the cab is used portrait/vertical.

That’s why all cones on one side of the Four10/Six10/Eight10 are LPF’d - to stop them cancelling out frequencies from the other side cones.

If it was eg 6 cones vertical in a single column then the LPF wouldn’t be needed.

So using two One10 next to each other, horizontally has a disadvantage against a Two10 in landscape mode, but the pair of One10 stacked should be better for dispersion than the Two10 in portrait/vertical.

EDIT

Cabs that are not designed to be used in both orientations - like the BF Super Twin - do not have the LPF on one of the cones because it's not needed in a vertical array like that.

Edited by fretmeister
  • Like 2