Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB P35 vs 2025x

doc40hz

Just returned a P35 back to bass direct. Great bass, but not for me - I'm a huge fan of my 2025 and wanted to see how the P35 would compare. 

No faults at all with the bass. Plays great and sounds decent enough. However, it was too different from my 2025 (I know, its a different instrument so differences are expected). 

Differences:

-Neck on the P35 is flatter in profile and thinner front to back. 

-Bridge pickup doesnt have as much "bark" on the P35. 

-The pickup volumes are pretty evenly matched on the BB2025. On the P35, the P is way louder and having both PJ full is quieter than the P alone. The J is not as loud. 

-The overall tone of the BB2025 is "thicker" than the P35 in my opinion. P35 is brighter and probably has a more modern sound. 

Didn't get a chance to use it live unfortunately. 

Hadnt used my BB2025x for years and was blown away by how solid it sounded at 2 different gigs last weekend. Complements from our very discerning sound guy too. 

• Like 4

I bought a BB P34 when they first came out and didn't keep it long for very similar reasons as yourself and the P35. It was indeed meticulously made, and it had a perfectly acceptable tone, very playable,but the 2024/2025 were/ are something a bit special. 

I don't know about you, but I find the tone of the P34/35 very crisp and focused. There's plenty of bottom end but there's a definite focus to the overall sound that makes it seem a bit lean. The 2024/25 by comparison have got an big bottom end but retain a very appealing bite in the upper mids and treble. Whatever you do with them, they sound big.

I totally take your point about the disparity between the P and J pickups on the newer model. It's an inherent problem on traditional Fender-style pickups in that configuration. One of the great things about the classic BBs  was that somehow they had solved that problem. The P series have opted for more conventional pickups and has lost something in the process, in my opinion.

I love both for what they bring. The P35 is wonderful for me, simplistic but near perfect playability. Maybe not as much character and slightly more “modern” sounding (?). I can see how you might yearn for something else if you’re coming from a 2025. 
Great time to own a nice 2025, they’re seemingly pretty hard to come by now. 
I sold my P35, needs must at the time but purchasing a 735a has reminded me that it really worked for me and I’ll likely have another at some point. 

Just let me clarify, I don't mean to denigrate the P34/35 in any way. They are superb professional quality instruments, just as you would expect from a Japanese-made Yamaha. If you've got one I can totally understand why you enjoy it.

I didn't keep mine in the end just because it was a bit weighty, I didn't like the colour when I saw it in the flesh, and I knew I wouldn't use it.  If I see a new vintage white P34 that weighs 9 pounds or less I might well buy another. When you look what a lot of comparable quality basses cost nowadays the P34/35 look like a bit of a bargain.

I prefer the 20 Series because of the unique tone of those basses, but the P34/5 have got their own sound too.  Like I said, they are very tight and focused with great definition to the notes. I agree that they sound more modern than a Fender-style PJ, but just because they have got conventional PJ pickups that doesn't mean they are necessarily supposed to have that old-school sound. Yamaha basses have got their own sound.

Edited by Misdee