Why become a member? ×

Pedalboard Power Advice (HX Stomp & Sansamp)

Michael Currie

Hi,

I’ve always been interested in pedals but never used them myself, for convenience and practical reasons.

Most of my work is theatre work so I’m usually coming through FoH and feel like it’s time to send them a sound I can control then dander around the venue with my wireless setup to hear.

I’m looking for advice about the best way to power an HX Stomp, Sansamp DI, Ditto Looper, Line 6 G30 Relay and Dunlop DVP4 expression pedal together in one board.

I was watching a video on YouTube where he mentioned that people had their HX Stomp damaged by phantom power, so using the DI could protect against that. Also the ground lift functionality and a simple way to control EQ after the stomp.

Any advice about power supplies for this kind of setup would be much appreciated.

On 16/03/2023 at 22:41, MarshallBTB said:

Cioks DC7 is the best option for this, you’ll need the current doubler and type 3 (I think … yellow adaptor) leads for the stomp. 
I use this for a similar set up, and it’s excellent, bomb proof and handy USB out too. 

Very cool, I've had a look at that and it seems great. In the meantime, would using a regular 4-gang extension with surge protection be safe enough?

The Cioks would be great in future.

10 hours ago, Michael Currie said:

Very cool, I've had a look at that and it seems great. In the meantime, would using a regular 4-gang extension with surge protection be safe enough?

The Cioks would be great in future.

Probably safe enough electrically but that mix of pedals does really need a true isolated supply. I am all for saving money whn I can, but in reality if a power supply costs less than £80 it probab;y is not truly isolated.

I should add that many supplies say they have isolated suplies but they often mean that they have their own regulator/short circuit protection on each output. That is nice to have but on a truly isolated supply, each output is not elecctrically connected in any way to any of its neighbours.

Also be aware of what power is required by each pedal. Digital pedals often  take a lot more power, needing more voltage (V) and current (mA) than the traditional 9V Boss type pedal.

Edited by Chienmortbb

The DC7 is the best option for this, it's what I use for my Stomp. I comissioned obbm to make a cable to power the stomp to avoid the 27 adapters that you need otherwise. I know he's retired now but other people will get you the cable I'm sure. Actually IIRC I think Cioks might even make one now.

The Truetone power supplies are another option. I've used the CS12 with a Stomp and up to 9 other pedals without any issues. I also have a CS7 which is much cheaper and smaller, so probably ample for your needs.