Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Gibson tribute DC shorty

Old Ozzie Guy

Hi all, I'm seriously considering purchasing a Gibson DC tribute shorty. Really interested in hearing anyone's experience with said bass . Positive/Negative, very interested with all views. I used a Gibson EB (O I think)short scale SG bass, back in 70s. I had it playing really well, loved it's fat growling tone, BUT, like all SG's, "neck dive" was Really annoying. IV played a DC tribute for 20 min in local shop, and loved the way it played and sounded. But shop and real world can b very different. So anybody had any experience with one, please let me know.

All the best regards from Down Under.

I have one and really like it.  Lightweight, no neck dive (lightweight tuners).  Compared to the EB-0 is has more bite and brightness because the pickup isn't tucked straight on the neck.  You don't get the mudbucker tone but there's plenty else going on to like.

• Like 1

DC's are lovely little things, nice to get around and they have quite a bright sounding pickup for a Gibson. The neck is a little chunky in the hand, not unmanageable, just rounder and more filling.

I had both the DC and a SG for a while and ended up keeping the SG. There wasn't anything wrong with the DC, I just preferred what the SG did and wanted that big humbucker by the neck tone.

The one thing I found slightly off putting with the DC was that the body is a slab and doesn't have any contouring. You can change your playing position to get around it and it wasn't a biggie for me, but it's just one thing to keep in mind.

They’ve been discontinued , so if you see one grab it.
When they first came out it immediately pushed a lot of my buttons. But I felt it was a bit pricey for what is really a budget instrument. 
That said … mine is easily one of my favourite things to play. It’s light , balanced , sounds great , fun to play. It’s a great little bass. I bought it from the States when they had some blowout sales going on and there were some issues when it arrived. I didn’t want to deal with long distance cross border hassles so I filed the sprouting frets , placed a heavier foam under the pickup and set the action to my preferences. And discovered that it was a really nice little bass. 
With a double coil pickup in the sweet spot they work much like the classic Pbass , and your hand position will determine how it sounds. And with two knob simplicity you’re not distracted by the knobs. All business.

Whenever I pick mine up it simply feels like home. My only complaint was not buying one sooner. 
So … if you see one. Grab it.

Edited by msb