Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

megazap63

Hi All,

Selling a '97 MM Sterling, all original, vgc with only a few very minor dings. Cherry burst colour, with original hardcase.

Neck is fast and straight with no warping, and is constructed from beautiful AAA birdseye maple (in the days when Ernie Ball used top quality woods). Body is a nice, light southern swamp ash. The result is awesome tone that cuts through any mix with that classic, punchy MM sound.

Versatile sound, used on countless jazz, funk, rock, latin and rnb gigs in since purchased. Killer slap sound.

Forced credit crunch sale, asking for £900.

Also selling a Korg G5 Synth Bass module, listed under Effects for Sale category.

Cheers

Edited by megazap63

[quote name='megazap63' post='472572' date='Apr 26 2009, 10:48 AM'](in the days when Ernie Ball used top quality woods[/quote]

Is there something wrong with the woods they have used post 1997? I've always known Ernie Ball as a company with a reputation for making consistently good quality instruments?

People will ask for pics by the way. :)

[quote name='Rowbee' post='472581' date='Apr 26 2009, 10:57 AM']Is there something wrong with the woods they have used post 1997? I've always known Ernie Ball as a company with a reputation for making consistently good quality instruments?

People will ask for pics by the way. :)[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the wood they use these days, I also play a 2006 Stingray 5 and it sounds great. However, compared to the Sterling (and my '78 Stingray - back home in Oz) I've noticed a distinct difference between 'older' and 'newer' MMs, with the older ones sounding richer and punchier, and I don't feel this is solely due to ageing of the wood etc.

Also, the older MMs are far more visually and aesthetically attractive (again, my opinion).

The bass is on consignment at the Bass Gallery in Camden, London so it can be put to the test through whatever rig/effects takes your fancy, however I'll try to get some pix up in the next 24 hours (have some gigs to get to and am on the way out the door).

[quote name='Macko1968' post='472586' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:10 AM']Do you know for definate that this swamp ash? AFAIK, EB use non-specific ash.

Pics and an idea of weight would be good.[/quote]

This is definitely swamp ash - I purchased the bass direct from the EB factory on a trip to the US in '97 and hand picked it from several due to its light weight etc.

The bass is on consignment at the Bass Gallery in Camden so can be tested there, but I'll get some pix up in the next 24 hours (gotta get to work right now).

[quote name='megazap63' post='472596' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:21 AM']This is definitely swamp ash - I purchased the bass direct from the EB factory on a trip to the US in '97 and hand picked it from several due to its light weight etc.

The bass is on consignment at the Bass Gallery in Camden so can be tested there, but I'll get some pix up in the next 24 hours (gotta get to work right now).[/quote]

Hi again,

Unfortunately, I took the bass in to the Gallery before thinking to take some pix so the only one I've got is from a few years back in Oz (with my little boy rocking out on it). The picture doesn't really do it justice, so anyone in or near London who's interested could check it out at the Gallery. Anyway, its the sound and feel of this bass that make it stand out from other MMs.

[attachment=24420:DSCN0647.JPG]

[quote name='megazap63' post='472596' date='Apr 26 2009, 11:21 AM']This is definitely swamp ash - I purchased the bass direct from the EB factory on a trip to the US in '97 and hand picked it from several due to its light weight etc.

The bass is on consignment at the Bass Gallery in Camden so can be tested there, but I'll get some pix up in the next 24 hours (gotta get to work right now).[/quote]

Although the weight is an indicator it does not gaurantee the wood as swamp ash. Mother nature provides some heavy swamp ash & some very light sen & north american ash.

What I was really hoping for was something from EB saying the bass was made of swamp ash, presumably as a one off? If you have something along those lines I think you may get trampled in the rush.

Edited by Macko1968

[quote name='Macko1968' post='472872' date='Apr 26 2009, 07:28 PM']Although the weight is an indicator it does not gaurantee the wood as swamp ash. Mother nature provides some heavy swamp ash & some very light sen & north american ash.

What I was really hoping for was something from EB saying the bass was made of swamp ash, presumably as a one off? If you have something along those lines I think you may get trampled in the rush.[/quote]

Alas, I don't have the original certificate that came with the bass, it was misplaced several years ago while moving house and I never chased down a copy since, until now, I hadn't intended ever selling it.

If you want to check it out for weight, its in the Gallery in Camden.